Hen Stopped Laying!

jlesley0352

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2017
Hi! First let me say that I am VERY new to keeping chickens, so this is all a learning experience for me. I have two chickens that are under a year old (born in September of last year). One is a Buff Orpington and the other is a Barred Rock. They have both been laying now since February. Until last week we have been consistently getting a egg a day from each hen. However, since last Wednesday only the Buff has been laying. I have also noticed that the Barred Rock is no longer doing the "Submissive Squat" since she has stopped laying. I have not changed their food, they have plenty of water, and she appears perfectly healthy. I have not noticed her being broody, but being a new chicken owner I may not know what that looks like. She has not been spending any extra time in the coop, or attempting to sit on the other chicken's eggs.

So, long story short can anyone think of a reason why she has stopped laying?

Thanks for all your help!

Maybe she is stressed out, did you add any new chickens to the flock? Or if a predator is getting in their coop, that can also stress them out. How hot is it there? When it is hot here, our chickens stop laying for a couple weeks, than go back

Hope this helps!!!

Honestly, nothing has changed in their environment. I don't think any predators are getting into the coop (at least there hasn't been any evidence of them), and its still in the 50s and low 60s here in Oregon. Maybe I'm looking too much into this!

Sometimes with chickens, it's just wait and see.

She may be thinking about going broody...cessation of lay can be the first sign.

Back
Top Bottom