Can I use my shredded paper as nesting material ?

I tried it but it was messy, but some people do use it, but i worried about the ink from the newspapers that I used,

The ink materials aside, do you really want black eggs?
gig.gif

THAT would be different! Any printed material is going to have ink rubbing off.

i heard it was messy too, but i do have an unlimited source of shredded paper. i was going to mix in a little with my pine shavings to cut down costs. the biggest problem I see with it is that if it gets wet it turns into mush, and mush takes longer to dry.

A lot of my friends use it
and they just rake it out the door to
a waiting wheelbarrel.if it gets wet .
its especially good if in the dead of winter or Rain
u run out of your reg. bedding shreded Paper is a cost saver..I collected some from my neighbor.just in case.

Maybe you can use Stall dry into it instead
of the shavings , if you want to save .
Just my thoughts.
LOL Im always looking for a way to
save some $$$
\\ Great job on the coop.
sissy

Last edited:
Quote:
yes you can use it..

just how wet are your nests??

if it gets wet,,,,,change it..

I don't like it. When my chickens go in and out they bring in muddy toes (wet days) that gets the paper wet and it sticks to them. Also, when they poop, it gets matted and stuck on the chickens too. It is a consstant clean-up. I wont use it. JMO

Henry'schickens :

Quote:
yes you can use it..

just how wet are your nests??

if it gets wet,,,,,change it..

I don't like it. When my chickens go in and out they bring in muddy toes (wet days) that gets the paper wet and it sticks to them. Also, when they poop, it gets matted and stuck on the chickens too. It is a consstant clean-up. I wont use it. JMO​

are you referring to bedding on the floor? or in the nest?

I can see how the paper would stick to a wet chicken.. However, if the paper is free, the problem is just asthetics.. I would still use it..

Back
Top Bottom