Worms & Respiratory Disease - Rooster Booster Worked!!!

dospuercos

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Lehi, UT
My 2 roosters & 18 hens have had what appears to be a chicken "cold" for well over 6 weeks now. (Yes I realize that chickens don't catch colds, but this is the best way to describe it.) They have runny noses, sneeze all the time & many of them are hoarse. So I have been giving them vitamins in their water hoping they could fight it off on their own. However the other day, I found worms in their poop. They looked like earth worms, but only about an inch long. (There were 4 worms in one poop!) The only thing that I could find that covered a whole range of worms & was safe for egg layers was Rooster Booster's Dewormer. It says on the bottle that it also is used for the treatment of Chronic Respiratory Disease. The instructions state to mix 1.25 lbs with 50 lbs of feed. I am wondering if anyone has used Rooster Boosters Dewormer before for either worms or for Chronic Respiratory Disease? The bottle doesn't state how much each bird needs or for how long. I have been feeding it to them now for 3 days. Their "colds" appear to be getting better. There are still worms in their poop (although they are significantly smaller.) Does anyone know how long I should give it to them for???? Also the bottle states that you should stop giving it to broilers 3 days before slaughter. But what about hens who are laying eggs. Is it safe to eat their eggs? If not how long should I wait for?? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I have never heard of this product, but it worries me that they don't tell you how long to use it on the label.

I would wait a minimum of two weeks before eating the eggs of a chicken that has been de-wormed. Some wormers are more poisonous than others, but since we don't know about this one, be safe.

The Rooster Booster DeWormer has small doses of an antibiotic in it, though I cant recall what type, that is, unless they've changed the ingredients in recent years. It's one reason I won't use it as a wormer. Don't know about withdrawal times. I'll post if I find it.

Here is the only info I found on their site. No withdrawals on it that I can tell. Except for the bold type ingredients, which are antibiotics, it's mostly vitamins and minerals. I'm not sure which ingredient is the actual wormer, though. Anyone else know?

Rooster Booster Triple Action Multi-Wormer
Medicated Feed Concentrate
Plus all the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids needed by poultry.

Click to enlarge image(s)

Rooster Booster Triple Action Multi-Wormer is a type B Medicated Feed Concentrate & Vitamin Supplement. It's a multi-action product that kills round worms, cecal worms, and capillary worms in poultry, fowl, pigeons, ducks, geese, turkeys, and quail. This product also contains active ingredients that serve as effective treatments in chronic respiratory disease like air sac infection and infectious enteritis. Triple Action Multi-Wormer is blended in a nutrition-rich base containing essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and direct-fed microbials. Indications for use: Treatment of chronic respiratory disease (air sac infection); blue comb (non-specific infectious enteritis); control of infestations of large roundworms (Ascaris galli), cecal worms (Heterakis gallinae), and capillary worms (capillaria obsignata). Important: Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment and control of parasites and disease. Directions for use for broilers and laying chickens: Mix 1.25 pounds (single container) of “Multi-Wormer” Pellets with 50 pounds of feed. Provides .005 grams of Hygromycin B per pound and .05 grams of Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate per pound. Ingredients: Forage Products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Grain Products, Calcium Carbonate, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Zinc Sulphate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Calcium Pantothenate, L-Lysine, DL Methionine Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Dried Bacillus Subtilus Fermentation Product, Dried Streptococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, and Dried Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, and Maltodextrin​

Last edited:
I got this msg back from the company when I asked which ingredient wormed the birds and he says it's the first antibiotic listed. Hmm. Here is the answer:

HI!!! Cynthia

The ingredient that does the worming is HYGROMYCIN B it is the only FDA approved wormer for all types of Foul.

Thank You for buying our product's
Darrell

If they are saying that Hygromycin B is the wormer and it's an antibiotic, then I'd say you would probably use whatever withdrawal was appropriate for a mild antibiotic. Not sure how effective this would be as a wormer.​

My chickens are on day 5 of this dewormer & antibiotic for their respiratory disease. This morning I was only able to find one small worm in all of their poops & it was only a little ball about 1/4 cm across. Before I started using it I would find about 4 worms 1/4 cm wide by 3 cm long in just one of their poops. Also my Bantam Rosecomb Rooster is crowing much better & when he makes his other cackling noises I can't even tell that he is sick. (I don't know who else out there has these kinds of birds. I have a hen & a rooster & they are quite talkative birds. They are fun to listen to & I am very glad that he is doing better.) I am going to e-mail the company this morning & see if they can give me some more information that might help answer our questions. Thank you for your posts. I really would like to find anyone else out there who has used this product & find out what they used it for & what their results were.

Thank you for this!

If my roo is not better when I get home, I'm headed to Fleet Farm to see if I can find this product.

(Last night we did the oil soaked bread and apple vinegar water treatments.)

Katie

Here is more information that I found on the internet about HYGROMYCIN B. Hygromycin is an antibiotic that was developed in the 1950s. It works by killing bacteria, fungi and higher eukaryotic or yeast cells by inhibiting protein synthesis. I think this means that the cells can't breakdown protein molecules which means they can't eat & therefore they die & can't continue to reproduce. (Biology majors anyone?) The antibiotic was developed for veterinary use originally & is still added to swine & chicken feed as an anti-worming agent. I also received a response from Rooster Booster. They let me know that the Rooster Booster Dewormer is safe to add to your chickens food indefinitely. He told me that some of their clients give it to their chickens constantly. Other clients give it to them for one week each month. Also it is safe to eat the hens eggs while they are on the dewormer. The Rooster Booster does not pass through into their eggs. Of course at $18 a bottle that is good for 50 lbs of feed means I won't be adding it to my feed all the time. Since my chickens free range all day & are around other farm animals (meaning they like to scratch through the horses & pot-bellied pigs poop), I think I will worm them in the spring & fall unless I see another infestation.

Honestly, I'm very leery of keeping chickens on a daily antibiotic, for any reason, though they say it's safe. Seems like asking for trouble to me. Well, leery isn't the word, I think it's really harmful overall. I think Id wait till I saw a worm then use a real, one-two-punch wormer over keeping this stuff in their food daily. JMHO. Hope it works for you and solves your issues.

As far as the respiratory stuff, you have to make your own decisions about that. I won't treat it if it ever pops up here. Let us know how all this pans out for you.

I am pleased to find out that the Rooster Booster Dewormer worked. I just want to throw out what I did & my results. My chickens were sick for over 6 weeks with runny noses, coughing & hoarse voices. Then I found worms (YUCK!) So I decided to give them Rooster Booster Dewormer which would get rid of the worms & was also good for their CRD. I locked them up in their coop & run & gave it to them mixed in their food for 4 days straight. On day 5 I felt guilty because the weather is so nice & I let them out to free-range & stopped giving them the Rooster Booster. Since then, I have not seen any worms for 5+days. And yesterday, my Rosecomb Bantam Rooster was finally able to crow (a beautiful crow) with no hoarseness. Also my eggs are back to normal size (even some of them are bigger than usual.) I have seen lots of posts lately on worms & respiratory illnesses & I hope this information helps you to get your chickens healthy again!

Back
Top Bottom