Size of oyster shell pieces seems large?

devora

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Willits, CA Gateway to the Redwoods
I was surprised that the pieces are so big. Guess I thought it’d be more like sand. I got it at the feed store while talking on and on about chickens and buying chicken food, so I assume it’s for chickens.

Does oyster shell come in varieties? Is it used for anything else on a farm (maybe I got the wrong stuff?)

Well, the first time we got oyster shell, it was like sand. That, we mixed in with their food. Now, when we bought a 50 lb bag, and it's whole shells!
big_smile.png
They have that as free choice, and it doesn't bother them any. You should be fine with whatever you have.
smile.png

Personally, I think they'll be fine with that. The coloring looks different to me, though...Maybe someone else will be able to tell you. But since you got it at the feed store, by the chicken food, it ought to be fine. Try putting a little bit in a bowl for them overnight and see if they touch it or not.

idunno.gif

Edit: I just realized that was a penny in the pic.
lol.png
They won't have a problem pecking at that; our oyster shells are larger than that.

Last edited:
Thanx everyone. Yup, I knew that photo would be pretty useless wo/ the penny!
wink.png

I took the advice and left it out for them to try. I came back and there was a big ol' mess o' the stuff scattered: sure sign they'd been eating! So I guess I won't have to grind it up in the coffee grinder. (Well, OK, I already did a batch when I was freakin' out...spoiled chickens!)

Mine are getting to 20 weeks so I put it out free choice (not in their food).

Quote:
I thought the same thing when I bought mine. My babes won't have anything to do with them. Sometimes I just micro/crush the egg shells and give that to them. All in all I'd say they are getting enough calcium, their egg shells are good and tough. I'd forgotten what a big difference there is in home grown eggshells and store bought. I'm now getting 4 eggs a day.
jumpy.gif

That's the same size of the kind they sell at my feed store. It reminds me of discolored oatmeal in size and shape. What I do with mine is to grind them a little smaller in a mortar and pestle, but maybe I don't need to do that.

Back
Top Bottom