question about wood ducks

Hey Mary,

They are VERY hard to find. No one that I can find will sell or ship ducklings, they're all juveniles. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, you may be able to find them pinioned or at least clip their wings. Check out Mcmurray Hatchery, Squaw Creek Farms, Acorn Holloe Bantams.......most will be sold out at the moment, but you can reserve them for fall shipping. Oh, just remembered Nature's Hatchery, I think they have them available. I rescued 2 babies from my pond Wed night. I think they jumped too soon. Brooding on and it's going strong the other one died on Thurs. We checked the box this am and one was dead in the box. (soooooo sad!!!!) Got a momma w/10 eggs should be hatching next week.......just don't know if I'll be home to see them jump. Hope I've helped. BTW where in LA r u----I'm in Lake Charles:p

Hey Mary,

Good luck with the hatcheries........had a typo...should have checked my post b/f I posted. lol...It's Acorn Hollow Farms or Bantams..not sure which one..all of those hatcheries also carry the Mandarins.....most even carry the white ones. I got mine from Goldenwest farms out of Washington....only had them for 3 weeks, so they probably still have some. They're not pinioned which is disappointing, but they did clip their wings for me. I was really hoping for babies this year, but I think they're still too young. Max (the male) is getting ready to molt, so I won't get any eggs this year as his desire to mate will be gone (shucks!!!!). I paid $60 for the pair another 65 for S/H and about 15 or so for the box that they came in. Not cheap birds, but I think they're worth it. I'd love to hear about your pygmy's...I really would love to have some of those..not sure if I have room...we have 5 acres, but 2 1/2 acres of that is a pond then there's the house and very large driveway and my husband's shop..not sure where I would put them!Take Care!!!

I will look into the other hatcheries you listed...wish me luck...My goats don't take up a whole lot of space...They are raised together with the chickens, ducks, turkeys, guineas and geese. The only downside with mine are that they LOVE chicken feed...lol...we don't have to use a weed eater in the yard bc the goats do it for us...another downside, they will eat ANYTHING!!!

I would build a nice pen and take your time doing it, plan it well and such, and wait till the fall to purchase your birds, they will be in abundance then and cheaper then they are now. If you are in dire need to buy some now, check Eggbid.com and look under ducks and then ornamental waterfowl, someone is usually selling something!!

The biggest thing about purchasing ducks is the shipping, its almost as much as the cost of the birds, so if you can find something locally, it would be better!!

I would also buy from a private breeder, some of the hatcheries charge like $100 a pair plus shipping, and make sure whoever you get them from gives you the proper paperwork and they are federally licensed, the 3-186 form.

Goodluck!!................Jason

I'm looking for somebody who will be willing to sell me atleast two baby wood ducks or one juvenile female wood duck for my male woodie??

Back
Top Bottom