Selling quail eggs for eating - to wash or not to wash?

My dad always soaks his eating eggs. I don't think you are supposed to, something to do with bacteria?? I can't remember for sure, but it seems you are supposed to run them under hot hot water, then wipe them off.

Thanks - I have issues with soaking eggs and then putting them back in the fridge which is why I was asking. I'd rather buy an egg and then wash it right before I use it, but I have a big order to get out and just wondered what all of you thought.

Okay, I sell quail eggs for eating. Do NOT use the same cloth to wipe all the eggs or use water that is colder than the eggs, as these can and usually do introduce bacteria.

Best practices follow:
Refrigerate eggs as they are collected, (do not wash before).
Set out your clean fresh cartons and a bowl of warm water and plenty of paper napkins.
Pull cold (40F) eggs out of the refrigerator, and use paper napkins to wipe each eggs, if necessary dampen napkin in the warm water. ( DO NOT DOUBLE DIP). Use a new napkin (or two) for each carton at the very least.
Place freshly cartons eggs back in refrigeration as soon as they are filled.

Last edited:
Thank you! Have a huge order (140) so I will follow your instructions to the "T". I usually only sell for hatching so this is new to me. Thanks again!

With coturnix eggs, you should instruct your customers of the freshness test.

Coturnix egg freshness test:
First discard any eggs that are cracked.
The rest get the float test.
Fill a deep pan with water.
If any egg floats to the surface, discard it.
Those that settle on the bottom are still fresh.

Suggested uses for floaters: Blown eggs for crafts, or snack for your dog or cat.

Back
Top Bottom