Sunnyside Hatchery

OSUman

GO BUCKS
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Central Illinois
Has anyone gotten their birds from Sunnyside hatchery? i am thinking about getting broilers from them and was wondering what everyones experiences were with them. Any feedback would be great.
big_smile.png

I live in Northern Illinois, about 20 minutes from the WI border. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the quality of their stock, but I do know that several of the feed stores in the area have set delivery days for their chicks, seems like every two weeks all spring and summer. I'll see if I can find anyone that's purchased from them. Are you interested in meat or egg layers?

We ordered for the first time from Sunnyside this fall. We needed a few more broilers as our big batch from a small hatchery in Iowa had very high death rates.

So, I ordered 15 broilers and received 28 chicks. Yes, 28! Don't think that's common, but was highly appreciated. We had one big roo die at 7 weeks and no other losses. Big, healthy birds. Definately our source of Broilers from now on.

We are a few hours from them in WI. They also have no shipping charges and only a $5 handling charge if under 100 birds ordered. I think the cost was around $1 per chick straight run.

we were getting 400 special blacks every month from them for years for some reason this year they were very poor quality chicks not sure what is going on we have a great brooder room set up correct temp always fresh food and water and bedding changed out to stay as clean as possible for chickens but no matter what the age they keep dying????? they start walking around like drunks and flop around and die within the day when they were just fine the night before ??? anyone else had their chickens do that? we were told it was toxcideous but no bloody poop so its not that and even medicine does not help??? we put vitamins and suppliments in the water for them daily and they still die losing 4-5 a day ....? i did speak with another person that had the same issue with the broiler chicks from them too so it is not just us or the special black breed that this happens to........... we are not going to order from them next year we lost too much money this year from poor quality chickens we have gotten .....wish we could figure out how to make them better but the dead chicken pile just keeps getting higher i personally would say stay away from the special blacks but cant speak for the rest of the breeds they have.

also if anyone has any idea why the chickens start acting drunk and die please let me know maybe there might be a way to save them? like i said they still do that drunk and die act even when they are 3 months old like i said age doesnt matter one day they all look great next day there are dead chickens in the pen...we clean as well as humanly possible between batches and nothing helps?

Back
Top Bottom