Question: new to ducks : Ducks panting

ferretmommie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 16, 2010
ohio
ok I am very new to ducks about 6 weeks into them and they are all 6 weeks old except for 1 a khackie campbell that is 1 yr old .
Ok so I have 5 mallards and 2 pekins and the Pekins are sitting out there panting and nobody else is it is only about 62 degrees outside right now can they actually be this hot they have a pool and fresh water to drink .... is this how they release heat like a dog would they are 6 weeks old

I would put them right next to the water and see if they drink. When they pant that usualy means they need a drink. Either from being hot or eating there food and needing water to wash it down.

I'll second the drinking thing with Pekins. I have one that does that. She also does it when she gets upset about being held.

Someone with more experience than me may say different though.

my babies did it when they had stuff gunked in their nose, I had to help them dunk their heads in the water to clean it out....worked but mine were less than 1 wk old at the time, I'd think yours would be old enough to know to do that? I also heard anxiety/stress causes them to act like that (as if they had a bully?). I'm also new at this too so these are just guesses. Hope you figure it out! GL!

My pekins often do this at around that age. My routine is to give them a swim in the evenings and let them dry off in the brooder- After they have preened and dried off they start to snooze- but I will see one or two panting- more when I have a larger number in the brooder. They arent cloggged up in the nostrils as they have just had a swim- Mine do it when they are just too warm- It is the ones further from the heat lamp that do the panting.
Being too warm or being stressed will make a duckling pant.

I too have been wondering why my Pekin also seems to pant. It almost doesn't even seem like panting but more of a silent chattering maybe. I hope someone can answer can answer your question also.

I raised Pekins and Rouens together and it was always my Pekins that panted - they just got hot easier. I turned their lamps off way sooner than I did with the chicks I was raising in a bin next to them. The funny thing is, the Rouens would like to sleep close to the Pekins and the Pekins were always trying to move away - kind of like wanting to "throw off the covers" - LOL.
I did notice they went through a stage where they panted more and then it eased up. As long as they have plenty of water, deep enough to dip their heads in, they will be fine. Also, I had one that did the "chattering" I think Green Liver mentioned, only it sounded kind of like snoring to me.
lau.gif

Last edited:
I would put them right next to the water and see if they drink. When they pant that usualy means they need a drink. Either from being hot or eating there food and needing water to wash it down.

I raised Pekins and Rouens together and it was always my Pekins that panted - they just got hot easier. I turned their lamps off way sooner than I did with the chicks I was raising in a bin next to them. The funny thing is, the Rouens would like to sleep close to the Pekins and the Pekins were always trying to move away - kind of like wanting to "throw off the covers" - LOL.
I did notice they went through a stage where they panted more and then it eased up. As long as they have plenty of water, deep enough to dip their heads in, they will be fine. Also, I had one that did the "chattering" I think Green Liver mentioned, only it sounded kind of like snoring to me.
lau.gif
x2

Back
Top Bottom