Trapped raccoon

Xtina

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
So, the marauder that killed my buff orpington last week showed up again last night and got trapped. At the time when I set out the trap, with the sound of the horrific ordeal still loud in my mind, I was sure I wouldn't have any problem killing the perpetrator when I caught it. But this morning, when I saw the tiny little raccoon huddled up in the cage, I sure felt differently.

I'm still ready to recognize that this animal must be put down. And that I have to keep trapping raccoons until they realize that my chicken run is no place to play. I can't risk them infecting my chickens or other pets with their diseases, and I sure don't want to lose a dog in a raccoon fight.

But before the poor beast in the trap is disposed of, please, can some one on here tell me that there's no humane release option available? I know I can't release them out of the city because they will transfer their diseases to the animals out there. And I know I can't unleash him on another neighborhood in the city. And I know that relocated raccoons tend to be killed by the area's existing raccoon population within a short time after relocation. The way I see it, this is a doomed raccoon, as is every subsequent raccoon I catch. This does not make me feel good at all, so I'm just asking if there is an option I haven't heard about.

There is no humane release option. They will suffer if you toss then into an unknown territory..
They will go hungry and thirsty and not have a safe place to sleep... they will have to fight daily with other coons in the area..because they're in THEIR territory...
Its more humane to just shoot them in the head ... its over in an instant.

I don't see any option. You trapped it for a reason and the hardest part is going through with your intentions. But once you do, and every time thereafter, it gets easier especially when you know that is best all around for everybody.

Even though it's saddening, it needs to be done. Unless you have a state park or refuge that will take the critter for you.

With all the forested land outside Portland I would opt for release into the wild.That is if you don't want to put him down.Have you ever watched Billy the Exterminator.He is forever relocating problem critters and he is a professional. Not to mention several other relocations I've watched on Nat. Geo.
hmm.png

Last edited:
One should avoid shooting an animal in the head that has the potentioal to spread rabies. The brain is more concentrated with the virus from my understanding and is more likely to infect you should it spatter in your eye or get on a cut in your skin.

Relocating animals can spread diseases. Best to leave that up to the Fish and Game people.

Last edited:
We're not going to shoot it, because of the legality. Can't discharge a firearm in the city. I just got a cryptic message from my husband saying he's found a humane way to deal with it and we'll talk when he gets home. In response to my ecstatic, "really??" he said, "as humane as that jerk's ever going to get!"

So I don't know what the deal is going to be. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Quote:
Please don't release it. It will probably end up in my yard. Relocation is never a good idea for the reasons already mentioned in this post.

putting the predator down is really the only humane option you have..a trash can full of water ,sink the trap to the bottom and walk away untill your courage comes back,if you release it somewhere else it will only be killed by other predators,sad but true

I don't think there is anything humane about drowning an animal. The fight for life while submerged goes on whether you care to think about it or not.

My husband's solution is carbon monoxide gassing. He won't feel anything, he'll go into a deep, warm sleep and not wake up. It sounds more humane than drowning. The worst part will be the smelly auto exhaust, which I really can't say is all that bad in comparison to being dunked in a garbage can full of water.

Back
Top Bottom