How often should I feed my chickens ?

kentucky jay

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
KENTUCKY
im feeding my chickens layer mash ..... i've had a couple people tell me to feed them 2 times per day .....i've also had a couple people tell me i could feed them in the morning only !!!!!!!!!! fill me in , what is best for my chickens ? i do not have heat or light in thier coop yet ...

I keep my feeder filled at all times. I also free range them most days so they can get greens, bugs, etc. but they always have access to layer pellets in the coop or run. In the summer the feeder hangs in the run, in the coldest part of the winter I put it in the coop.

I keep their food container filled at all times. The reason I do this is because when you have multiple animals in which there is a pecking order the biggest, strongest and most aggressive take their fill first, then the next, etc...the animal at the bottom gets whats left, if anything. I feed layer crumble and put the feeder up on a short stump. I never have waste. What gets knock on the ground they eat.

Hope this helps
smile.png
and
welcome-byc.gif

We have a gallon hanging feeder in the coop, I fill it half full every 3 days and it's never empty by then. We only have 4 large fowl in there right now, but will be getting a few more in spring.
Try the twice a day thing if you feel better about it. If they don't eat what you give them then, you will know how to adjust quantity from there.

I keep layer pellets in front of them at all times. Feed oats as scratch in the AM then again about 3 PM so they will fill their crops for the long winter's night...

I've always fed free choice as well. As KKH pointed out, if you just put out a certain amount, low chickens in the pecking order, who have to eat last, may not get any food. This happens on occasion when I take a plate of treats/scraps out to them; my two little/new girls don't get any (unless I take them out a separate saucer).

I feed our flocks twice a day, but it's mainly to keep their feeders full. I try and never let the feeders run out. I gather the eggs, look at all the chickens to check for sickness or injury, top off the water, throw out a bit of scratch grain for a treat, top off the feed, add shavings ocassionaly, every morning and again every night. I really don't have to do it twice a day, it's just my personal choice.
I don't add any light or heat to my coops, but some do. Again, it's a personal choice.
I also use laying pellets instead of mash because there is less waste. I've seen several post here on BYC about people's birds not eating pellets, but we've never had that problem

Good luck!

No posts at all, but by the time I hunt and peck out a reply half of BYC beats me to it.
lau.gif

walks away mumbling; iwishinewhowtotypeoratleasthadtakentypeinginhighschoolorsomethingifeelsostupid

Last edited:
enough said .....im filling the feeders and keeping them that way ....although im worried that ants and stuff will start infesting the coop .........does anyone know if chickens will eat bees?

In the spring, summer and fall I feed once a day in the evening. In the winter, I feed once a day in the morning. I don't leave food out continually due to attracting rodents to my coop, rodents bring predators. They also can eat a surprising amount of feed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom