Ducks and heat, mine don't need it, why do yours?

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
Ok, so I have 3 Khaki and 3 Pekin ducklings, they are now 5 and 6 weeks old. When they were 3 & 4 weeks, I moved them into the cold garage on the concrete floor. I have kept a fresh towel on their floor daily, 30g bin for pond and no heat what so ever day or night. They are growing bigger and messier every week.

Why is everyone saying that ducks need heat like chicks do, this has proven totally false in my experience?

I agree! I put mine outside at two weeks in a pen with a heatlamp and they choose to not sleep near it. My 10 week old chicks go into the duck pen in the morning to use the to use the heat lamp though.
lol.png

Last edited:
Because if they get too cold, they will die. Like chicks, ducklings are unable to regulate their body temperature until they get feathers. How much heat and how long really depends on your climate. They do not necessarily sleep under the heat lamp, but it does keep the temperature warmer in their surroundings. Most information tells you for new hatchlings to adjust the temperature around 90 degrees and decrease 5 degrees every week after. My new ducklings are about 2 wks old now and they have a heat lamp in one area of their brooder. They have room to run and play but when they get too cold they will come back to area where there is heat.

Our ducks have been outside in a closed shed all winter (can't wait to get them back outside!) with no heat lamp and they'll all fine. Huge and poopy as ever. But they're also almost a year old. Not ducklings.

Last edited:
Every ones experience is different. Most keep lamps on them because like chicks they will sometimes pile on top of each other to keep warm and end up trampling the smaller ones.

Better safe than sorry-

Last edited:
I do know of a lady who hatches year round and never uses a lamp. She does suffer many looses though. I find mine only NEED it for around two weeks- but longer at night in winter. I leave the lights on longer just for the event of a cold snap- especailly at night. Of course for larger groups- they can keep each warm better than just two or three ducklings.

i was given a duckling at two weeks old, and told he dont need the heat lamp, but keep him from drafts etc ....(it was summer) so he had nice thick staw bed and has always been very healthy and strong... infact all my ducks have come here fluffy between 2 and 4 weeks. ive never used heat lamps .... but they have lived in my kitchen, untill fully feathered

I've noticed the wild ducklings, at least where I live, don't seem to need their mother's warmth after they're about four or five weeks old. But, we live in a mild climate and most ducklings are hatched during the spring and summer. They kind of go and hang out with the other ducks their age and huddle together when they're cold.

I agree. My ducklings always have the option of a heatlamp but I've been really surprised how they don't seem to like it. They were outside in a squash bin at 3 weeks and never cuddled or slept near the lamp.

Back
Top Bottom