HELP! How long to remove chicks after hatching in incubator?

JPHorvath

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Northern Chester County, PA
I need to know how long chicks should stay in incubator after hatching. First hatched yesterday morning around 11:00am second followed around 3:00pm, one over night and then 3 more today. Most recent one hatched about 2 hours ago. I am concerned if the two from yesterday should be removed now to have access to fresh water in a brooding box. I worried if I open incubator it may harm last chick that hatched it is still wet.

It won't hurt the last chick... the chicks actually dry better in the brooder....less humidity! If you still have eggs that are pipped, just put in a wet hot paper towel when you take the others out. That will help restore the humidity. If they are all hatched, you're safe to put them all in the brooder and show them where the grubs and drinks are served!

I find that leaving the chicks in the hatcher until they are dry makes them seem a little more robust.. they dry off plenty fast in there.. sure it takes time, but they are still developing even after they leave the shell.. I believe breathing that moist air keeps them hydrated inside..

you do not mention if you have any pips. if you ave no pips, you can take them out.. then take a spay bottle and spritz the walls of the incubator.. do not spritz right on the eggs..

smile.png
Congrats on your babies!

They can stay in the incubator up to 48 hours after hatching, with-out food

or water. They live off of their ubsorbed yolk. It's how people ship them!
smile.png

Generally, as long as you have NO other pips, you can take them out as soon

as they are dry. It will not hurt your chick that is still wet, just do not keep the

top off very long. Wishing you the best of luck!

Quote:
Agreed with this...

I agree also,,, BUT
late hatchers are often the weakest ones and should not be forced to stay in the hatcher as long as you expect a normal hatched one to..

I just make sure it's dry. I blow-dry the ones that take forever and the ones that don't absorb their yolk sac all the way so they get access to food amd water as soon as possible.

Thank you everyone for your advice! Last night I placed them into the brooder. I am pleased to say they are all happy peeping chicks. Much to our surprise another one started to hatch today around 11:00 am. Little chick is still trying to work it's way out. We have been watching the chick try to get out, but she seems to be stuck in the same position for the past 5 hours or more; big long hole about 1 1/4” x 3/8” has been pecked open. Now I am faced with the dilemma whether to assist or not. I know I really should not, but the membrane seems to be drying a little. Any opinions?

I have been successful with intervening in such situations, as I'm one of those that just cannot leave a chick to struggle and die in the shell.

This is the process I use (which you may choose to use as well, or not, depending on how you feel about the subject):

Wash your hands with soap and water. Get some Q-Tips and a cup of hot water, plus a clean wash cloth. If you don't have nice, strong fingernails, get a pair of sewing snips or maybe fingernail clippers. Open the incubator and snatch out that egg, and wet the Q-Tip with the hot water. Pour some onto the washcloth and hold the egg with it. Daub the exposed membrane with the wet Q-Tip so it darkens again and becomes translucent. Start picking at the edges of the shell, just little bits at a time.

If you encounter blood, stop immediately and put the chick & egg back into the 'bator for a few hours.

If not, work around the edges of the shell until as much of it is removed as possible. Work fairly quickly because you don't want it to be out of the heated environment of the incubator for very long.

I tear the membrane gently to release the chick's upper body. Again, if you encounter blood, stop immediately.

I usually put the chick back in the 'bator with half of it still in the bottom of the shell and the membrane so IT has to kick its way out as if it would have done on its own, had you not assisted it. That lets it finish hatching. I think that's important to the hatching process. Especially since there may be some un-absorbed yolk still attached to the chick, in the bottom half of the egg shell. Let it "finish" for several hours in the 'bator.

Good luck in either case!

I believe I have a total of 20 eggs in my incubator and 2 hatched between last night and real early this morning I let them dry off and put them in a different box with a heat lamp I'm waiting on the other chicks to hatch we had one die on us this morning it had a hole in the membrane ant the egg was cracked so I thought it was just trying to come out I left it in there for a couple hours to see and it wasn't moving any more now I am really worried that the others are going to do the same we have an egg that has cracked the shell but not the membrane and I'm scared to go to bed like that due to it dying on us... What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom