Newly hatched chick has bloody bottom

jude_anne

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
It's bottom is dried but very red & looks sore. The chick seems to be acting fine. Should I just leave it alone or apply something on it?Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just leave it alone as long as it doesn't look infected. Watch the other chicks, if they start pecking he may need seperated for a few days til it heals up. Good luck!

Thank you so much for responding! After looking at it closer, it seems to be like a piece of tissue, but it is drying up. The chick seems to be doing fine, but we'll definitely watch the other ones to make sure they don't peck it. Thanks again!

Please leave it alone! It is most likely the navel. Where the yolk was attached to the chick. Over the next week you should notice it becoming smaller and less noticeable
smile.png

My daughter thought the same thing. This is kind of rectangular and about 3/8" long and 1/8" wide. Could it be a piece of shell that fused to the tissue? I don't want to mess with it because the chick seems to be doing fine. None of the other peeps are bothering it, but we'll definitely keep an eye on it. Thanks so much for the help :)

Personally, when I have one hatch like that with a rough or raw navel, I dust it with styptic powder and then I dust it a couple of times a day for 3-4 days with tetracycline powder (duramycin). It always dries up nicely with this treatment, never lost one to any kind of infection or bleed out after this.

I checked the chick again and it's all dried up now. It's a dark red little blob. Her bottom is all matty. When she poos it's been sticking so we've been cleaning her up with a paper towel with warm water. She's the last one so far to hatch so she's still a little wabbly. Where do you get the styptic and tetracycline powders? Would they also help with the matty bottom?

Back
Top Bottom