Fly Control, anyone find something that works, and is chicken safe?

renovationmom

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Texas Hill Country
The flies are really bad here. It has been very hot(107, for a week now) I have a mister on in front of the coop from 11am-7pm, it is the only way I can keep the flock cool. Unfortunatly, the DE I use, which works very well normally, does not work right now with the mister going.

Will the flies harm my flock?

Anyone know what controls I can use?

Here is what I use-

I buy the fly predators and scatter them around (my chickens can't free range because of the wild and tame critters)
I hang those disposable and baited fly traps all around the property, especially around the chicken pens
I sprinkle cedar shavings in both their inside and outside pens
I keep their pens as dry as possible with pine shavings
I use granular fly bait in buckets of dog poo (it seems to work better) put in areas where no other animals can get at (I also have horses, goats and a kennel of sled dogs)
I use fly paper in areas where the chickens can't fly
I spray using a fly spray that is labeled for dairy barns, kennels and chicken houses for inside the chicken coop when the hens are outside .

What works great is those plastic bag fly traps that you fill with water. They're awesome, I've never seen anything like it.

Quote:
Last summer I used the little tree vanilla air fresheners and they kept the coops free of flies. As they aged and had less scent I would spray them with a can of vanilla scent. The best place to buy the tree and aerosol refill is a truck stop, I put one in my truck to stop them coming through the open windows. I'll be doing it again this summer.

Quote:
What do you think of those fly predators?

This year for the first time ever I had a bad fly problem in the spring. I've been considering ordering those fly predators to see if they'd help for next year.

Quote:
Yes,you are right, I did not have a fly problem until I had to turn the misters on, but it has been 107 here for a week now, and fans are not enough, it is the only way I can keep the flock cool.
hmm.png

Quote:
Last summer I used the little tree vanilla air fresheners and they kept the coops free of flies. As they aged and had less scent I would spray them with a can of vanilla scent. The best place to buy the tree and aerosol refill is a truck stop, I put one in my truck to stop them coming through the open windows. I'll be doing it again this summer.

I will try this, do you think it is safe for the chickens, my coop is well ventilated, but I have read that in the home, if you keep birds(like parakets), chemicals, cleaners and non-stick cookware is toxic to them. I have also read that cedar and citronilla is toxic to chickens.

Bugs have been horrible this year here as well! We have the large jar traps hanging from the rafters in the barns, as well as the sticky fly rolls inside and outside on the fences. We have gone through 18 of the medium sized rolls the last 2 days * mwahaha*

Back
Top Bottom