How do you keep hatched chicks from climbing all over unhatched eggs?

dospuercos

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Lehi, UT
So I have only done one hatch in my LG incubator which wasn't very successful. (12 out of 31 eggs hatched) I am trying out another hatch & bought a hygrometer because I believe my humidity was WAY too high the 1st time. But it also seemed like when each baby chick hatched they then rolled all the other unhatched eggs all over the place. I really don't want to open the incubator every time a chick hatches. But I also don't know if the unhatched eggs are okay getting rolled all over. Has anyone else had this problem & if so, how did you fix it? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Quote:
Yeah the the little socker players....
lol.png

And yes the other eggs will be fine. I do arge hatches and even separate when hatching because of the amount. But it's always crazy in the hatcher....
lol.png

Suz

I hear you ! I have had chicks that drowned in the egg from being kicked around .I now remove the eggs from my turner ( If you don't have a turner this will still work ) and put them into egg cartons ! Simply take the top part off and put the eggs into the carton pointy end down and once the chick gets out it leaves the other eggs right where you left them
smile.png

I also had this problem with my first chick that hatched. We named s/him Trouble because s/he buzzed from one end of the 'bator to the next. Folks here said that the other eggs should be okay, and that it may stimulate the others to hatch. It was also suggested to next time place the eggs in paper cups or a carton, as Cold Canadian said.

In my experience I believe that it is ok and does stimulate the other eggs to hatch. Chickens being very social birds and all.

I went with the egg carton idea also.Go to a local resturant as they get there bulk eggs boxed with layers on egg cartons in between,each holds around thirty or so eggs.

I leave my eggs laying on there side the whole time for the one time I did the egg carton I had a very bad hatch rate. I just remove the chick after a bit and I have no trouble with the incubator at all. I don't do it after each and every chick unless they are very slow at coming, but I do think that them being all over the other eggs is a way to get them to come out too.

Thank you for all the GREAT comments & suggestions!
Maybe I'll do a little experiment & do half in the egg carton & half laying on their sides. I'll let you know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom