A sure sign eggs are coming....

chickenlickin8

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Valrico, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
THE SQUAT! My girls are 18 weeks old today and I caught her doing the "SQUAT" for me!
clap.gif
She stayed perfectly still for a minute or two...so I snapped a couple of pics! She looked so cute. Can't wait for my first egg ....
fl.gif

MEG
12435_dscn1458.jpg

12435_dscn1457.jpg

clap.gif
Yea! Won't be long now. 2 of our 6 pullets started doing this in the past week. They are 18 1/2 weeks. No eggs yet, but that doesn't keep me from checking more times than I care to admit.
smile.png

Whoa! My Ginger did that for me last night! I was like "what the heck are you doing???" (this is the first time with chickens for me) She is only 16 weeks, is a New Hampshire. Yay!!!
clap.gif

I've got 8.. 2 RIR, 2 Deleware, 2 Welsummer and 2 Ameraucana's! They'll be 20 weeks this Thursday. My little RIR runt Ginger has a teeny comb and wattle and are hardly red, that being said SHE laid her first egg 8/20!!! Second 8/22! She just now started squatting. My Deleware's are huge, w large red combs and wattles, have been singing the egg song for weeks now and have been squatting for over a month.... I got my first egg from one of them this am and my larger RIR! My little Ginger has defied all indications of egg laying! So now in my eyes there's really no "sure sign" lol Just look up each breed specific info and note the estimated first egg time frame... I figured my lil Ginger would be the last of the 4 who are in the timeframe window and she was the first! She did great too! The two this morning were very vocal (Loudest they've ever been), mean, restless- in and out of the hen house, scratching around the nesting boxes like crazy, just acting really strange! Ginger just went in and out a few times, was very quiet and sort of kept to herself for a couple days.. Each one sure seems to have their own way of handling the first egg! It's super exciting!! I was so proud of my girls!!! Excited to see how the rest are going to be and can't wait to get to see how pretty their eggs will be too!! (Dark chocolate brown and blue green) good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom