24 week pullets not laying yet...

HathawayHens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
DeLand, FL
Hi all! I have two 24 week pullets (Easter Egger and Ameraucana). They STILL aren't laying! I'm about to die for those first blue eggs... any ideas on how to get them going? I do have them in with the older hens, but they have lived with them all summer... does intimidation prevent egg laying?
Thanks!

I know Ameraucanas take longer than some of the other breeds, but I hope mine don't take that long. Mine are about 20 weeks, and also nothing. I'm about ready to die from anticipation. They have been checking out the nesting boxes the last week or so. Hang in there, they have to start sometime------ don't they?

Same here my Easter Egger is 20 weeks and no eggs.....and my RIR's and Light Brahmas haven't laid as well. They are becoming more vocal with a clucking chorus in the morning for the past few days hoping it's a sign
fl.gif
good luck!

Last edited:
Since EE's are mutts they are going to lay when they lay. Mine came from Meyer hatchery and the 3 of them started at 21 and 22 weeks.

Quote:
No, light can keep them laying in winter but would not start it off, as far as I know. 24 weeks is not unusual at all for your types of chickens.

Patience! Occasionally one will take as long as a year. Let's hope yours do better than that
big_smile.png

My EE have always laid last in the bunches I got. We had two barred rocks and an EE (BO/Ameracauna cross), the EE was over a month later that the other girls.

We got some chick (6 of them) the EE was the last of the group to lay. almost a month later.

But when they lay, they sure are pretty!
big_smile.png

I have nine chickens who are 24 1/2 weeks old. 3 of them are laying. One started laying at 18 1/2 weeks. The other two laid exactly at 24 weeks. Six more still haven't produced. But getting three eggs a day is great!

Back
Top Bottom