Male duck mating in the female too much?

PoultryGirly

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Hi. I have a pair of black call ducks. The female has a big bald spot on the back of her head. Is the male going to hurt her? Do I need to get another call duck ( I can't find any around here) ? Please answer.

I am having the same problem with 1 of my females she is almost bald and I keep her separated from the boys off and on to give her a break. The other two females are fine - both of them are now laying eggs and she is still a month away from laying so not sure if that is why the boys are attacking her so much now.

if they keep it up with her she will have scars on her head , so yes it is a good idea to give her a break, drakes are real antsy this time of year

I would personally separate them and give her a break. I had a pekin that would pretty much rape whatever he could get, hens, drakes, dogs, us, goats....ect....needless to say he got shipped out

I am putting my boys in a separate pen and letting them play together supervised for a couple hours a day. That way I can make sure only 1 is mating my females at a time. They get this way from multiple attacks / multiple partners.

I only have one female and one male. I can't separate them, they will go crazy. I think they've been together since they were hatched. But will the drake kill her? Sorry, I am a first time duck owner.

I only have one female and one male. I can't separate them, they will go crazy. I think they've been together since they were hatched. But will the drake kill her? Sorry, I am a first time duck owner.
Does it have to be another call? why not another duck of another breed that is about the only way your going to get this situation even a little bit under control if you can't separate them. He most likely won't kill her they use the ducks feathers as a way to hold on since they haven't got hands. It would be the best if it was 3 ducks to 1 drake.

Call ducks are the smallest ducks. I don't know if a mallard duck will be okay? They are smaller than regular ducks.

Back
Top Bottom