Clorox in drinking water?

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
I've been noticing that when I get the girls fresh water, there have been some black mold spots inside the waterer that easily come off with my fingernail. I add ACV w/ the mother to their water every time. Can this be the culprit?

I've also heard that Clorox can be added to their drinking water to eliminate mold build up in the waterer. Is this true and if so, how much would I need to add per gallon? Is it okay for the chickens to ingest a small amount of Clorox?

Thanks in advance!!

Your question prompted me to do a little search because i have been getting algae in a waterer that is kept outside. I found a thread that had this link for purifying water for emergency situations for people (there is a chart when you scroll to the bottom):
http://www.doh.wa.gov/phepr/handbook/purify.htm

I looked into getting oxine for the same purpose because it was mentioned on this site but I could only find it on line for around $30 plus shipping.

There are people that swear by using bleach in the drinking water for disease prevention and treatment.
I've not heard of it being used to keep the waterer clean, but it would be a good side benefit.

Here's the recipe:

Quote:
Imp

Your question prompted me to do a little search because i have been getting algae in a waterer that is kept outside. I found a thread that had this link for purifying water for emergency situations for people (there is a chart when you scroll to the bottom):
http://www.doh.wa.gov/phepr/handbook/purify.htm

I looked into getting oxine for the same purpose because it was mentioned on this site but I could only find it on line for around $30 plus shipping.

Thanks for the input. I said it was mold, but I guess it could be algae instead. Not sure. I'll post back later after I give the Clorox a shot. Thanks, again!!

I use diatomaceous earth (make sure you use food grade) to help with algea or anything in my waterers. I found out it helped with my sons horse water tank and kept his water clear for alot longer. I was so pleased with it I started putting it in chicken water too as well as my other waterers. It helps with several things and I have been very pleased. I don't care for bleach its a nasty chemical that some people and animals have issues with if they come in contact with.

DE?... that is interesting that it helps with algae. I happen to have that on hand. I'm not sure what about it helps with algae, but at the very least it would make a good natural abrasive for cleaning out the waterers. It is worth a try.

I use diatomaceous earth (make sure you use food grade) to help with algea or anything in my waterers. I found out it helped with my sons horse water tank and kept his water clear for alot longer. I was so pleased with it I started putting it in chicken water too as well as my other waterers. It helps with several things and I have been very pleased. I don't care for bleach its a nasty chemical that some people and animals have issues with if they come in contact with.

Is the diatomaceous earth the powdery stuff that is used as an organic wormer also? Thanks!

Diatomaceous Earth is not a good internal wormer. It kills soft bodied bugs, yes, but loses cutting ability when wet, which, of course, the inside of a bird is. It does work to keep bugs from setting up housekeeping in nestboxes, kills bugs in feed, and keeps shavings dry under the roosts and it's good for dusting the outside of birds under the wings and around the vent, but you'd be better off not depending on it to worm your birds. I've used it for years, but I don't expect it to do the impossible.

I can't figure out how you'd put it in water and keep it from clumping up in there. It soaks up moisture in feed bags and clumps.

In what Imp posted above:

Quote: Make sure you DO NOT give the bird this solution at this strength! This is to draw from in Tablespoon amounts to put in your gallon waterer! If you give a bird that concentration of bleach in water, you'll probably kill it.

I can't see chlorinating water on a regular basis, personally, but wanted to be sure no one got the wrong idea, as they often do. I don't ever do that. I will, on rare occasion, put 1/8 teaspoon of Oxine per gallon of water in the waterers in each coop if I feel there is a reason to do so, but usually, it's just fresh, clean water.

Last edited:
Quote: Make sure you DO NOT give the bird this solution at this strength! This is to draw from in Tablespoon amounts to put in your gallon waterer! If you give a bird that concentration of bleach in water, you'll probably kill it.

I can't see chlorinating water on a regular basis, personally, but wanted to be sure no one got the wrong idea, as they often do. I don't ever do that. I will, on rare occasion, put 1/8 teaspoon of Oxine per gallon of water in the waterers in each coop if I feel there is a reason to do so, but usually, it's just fresh, clean water.

This is true. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The solution is added to the water, not straight bleach.
Thank You Speckled Hen.

And I do not add anything to my water, as Speckled Hen does, I just use fresh clean water, and wash the bowl daily. (It only took me 1 day to throw the chicken waterer in the garbage and switch to a bowl. I recognized it was going to irritate me
big_smile.png
)

The person I know that does this, did so because of a respiratory disease problems. She has lots of information about it. Says it stopped the disease immediately, she convinced a couple others to try it and they reported the same results.
Imp

Back
Top Bottom