HELP!!!! Chicken with red swollen vent, leaking gooey white and red stuff

newchickenista

Songster
8 Years
Jan 25, 2012
Southeastern, Oklahoma
Bare with me here, but I woke up to a chicken that is huddled in the corner of the coop, her vent is bright red and very swollen and she is leaking a white runny poop consistently and she also has a gooey thick translucent red substance leaking from her back side area. 6 days ago I checked this chicken for mites (which she didn't have) and so I saw her vent clearly and it was perfectly normal, a little moist, but I expected an egg out of her very soon. To my knowledge she hasn't laid yet. Please help me, I've never had chickens before and these are only 21 weeks old...

I am not sure from your description what the problem is...so sorry I don't have experience with that. But until someone can help you, you might google prolapsed vent and eggbound (egg binding) hens.

(Or search BYC.)

Prolapsed vent is when the vent comes out and won't go back in on its own. You gently push the prolapse back in and hope it stays.

Egg binding is when an egg gets stuck. You put the chicken in a warm water bath for that one. White poo can mean the urates passing around the egg (the pee).

I am puzzled by the translucent red substance.

The transluscent red could be from chickens pecking at her vent and/or internal bleeding. But probably from chickens irritating her butt.

What happened with my hen, turns out she was egg bound. By the time she showed any distress she was backed up with 3 eggs. These were her first eggs so I had no way of knowing until I saw the outward physical signs. We tried to help her pass them but ended up having to put her down. Your pictures look very similar to my hen but can't know for sure. I would find some threads with people talking about egg binding and post these pics and see what they say. Sorry I can't be more help.

Back
Top Bottom