need advice on using a covering for plywood floor of coop

kwhit

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Mansfield, MA
We are pretty close to being done with our coop. I need to cover the floor of the coop to protect the wood.
Some ideas I have heard are:
Linoleum
Rhino liner (spray on covering)
A rubber stall mat cut to size

Your opinion counts!

I (my hubby) have built that Purina coop so it is roughly 4x4 and
will house 6 chickens soon. They will be 4 weeks old Monday.
I don't plan to get them into the coop for maybe another week or two.
Our Spring is very slow coming around, so not in a hurry.

I live in Massachusetts, but is it possible to use this coop as a brooder as well?

I want to research a coop heater for it too just in case (I know we could get as cold as -10' to -20')
I would post pictures but I haven't had time to take them....

For my coop I went to Lowes and got a reminent of linoleum. Cost me maybe $5 - $10 for a huge roll. Works great. Not something I would have picked for my house, but it's only for the coop and it's covered by shavings.

For my coop I went to Lowes and got a reminent of linoleum. Cost me maybe $5 - $10 for a huge roll. Works great. Not something I would have picked for my house, but it's only for the coop and it's covered by shavings.
x2 on the linoleum, except I got mine from my son who had some left over from a project.

I used a rubberized roof coat product I got from Lowes (Blackjack #57). If it can stand up to all kinds of weather extremes protecting a roof, taking care of a coop floor is nothing to this stuff. Unlike vinyl or linoleum, which can break down over time and allow moisture to get in between it and your wood floor. This roofcoat bonds, and actually becomes part of the floor. It seals all the gaps and joints of the floor, along with the joint/gap where the walls meet the floor. To apply, stir well, and just dump a big dollop on the floor and push it around with a roller. I've had this stuff down in my coop for over three years, and it looks the same as the day I applied it.
Jack

Lino would be cost effective and easy to clean. Also if you just tack it in with a few nails instead of glueing, it will be easy to change out later.

Neat idea. I just finished my coop by convertimg an old old corn crib. It is about 16ft by 8ft and has an elevated wooden floor. I was wondering what to use to keep it dry and prevent rot. Is the Blackjack 57 toxic in anh way to chickens? What type bedding do you use? Thanks in advance for your help!

Not sure about the paint. I was asking advice cuz I know that when a full clean out is needed I was thinking if
lino is used then it would be easy to clean the floor by washing with a bleach and water solution. Same idea with a cut piece of stall mat.
The mat can be removed to clean it too. I am going to err on the side of ease to clean and go with linoleum. I am re-thinking of how to use
a poop draw/pan. I guess I can set it on the floor of the coop and line that with lino. Or I could look for those blanket storage containers and use that?

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom