Is Blackjack 57 safe?

Pics

tarutgers

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Minnesota
Has anyone applied Blackjack to coop floor to waterproof it? I am rehabbing a dog kennel that is inside a barn, for my chickens. I have noticed with the warmer weather the concrete is moist, planning on using sand but sand and moisture do not mix. Please help I am new at this and have 12 yards of sand being delivered soon! Thanks Bunches

I don't know how it would work on concrete. But it is one of the best wooden floor treatments you can get.
Jack
I don't mean to hijack a thread here, but Jack, I have read many posts where you are a big fan of the blackjack, it sounds like a good idea to me, but does it have any fumes or strong smells after it's dry? I want to be sure it is safe before I use it.

I don't mean to hijack a thread here, but Jack, I have read many posts where you are a big fan of the blackjack, it sounds like a good idea to me, but does it have any fumes or strong smells after it's dry? I want to be sure it is safe before I use it.
It has absolutely NO fumes or odors after it is dry. Tell you the truth, it didn't smell that bad when I put it down in my coop. The regular paint I used for the rest of the interior smelled more than the Blackjack. It is safe, it has been in my coop for over three years, and my birds are as healthy as they can be.
Jack

Don't think it will waterproof moisture will still come in concrete would work best if you put plastic dies not have to be 4" their will be no weight on it.

Thanks for the responses! I went to Lowe's site and downloaded the pdf spec sheet for Blackjack and it said it may be used on masonry. I am a dumb lady, but isn't concrete masonry? It does carry the same warning that most paints do concerning ventilation when applying. It also states it should not become tacky until 212 degrees which I can see maybe on a roof in direct sun but inside my barn would be fine. It sounds like it might work well to keep the moisture from wetting the sand on top. What are your thoughts? Maybe linoleum would be better? I am afraid the use plastic for fear I will rip it when I rake the sand around. Not all of the sand being delivered is going into the coop but I need to make a decision so the sand that is isn't sitting outside in the rain. Thoughts anyone?

I think you might run into a problem with your concrete and Blackjack. What you are seeing, with the concrete getting damp, is moisture from UNDER the concrete slab wicking up and through the floor. To prevent this in a building, they will lay heavy plastic sheets down before they pour the concrete, to prevent just what you are seeing. I think the blackjack would fail from the moisture coming up from underneath. What I would use, is some of that basement waterproofing paint. That stuff is made to seal out water/moisture from seeping into a basement. It should be able to seal up this slab/floor. Clean the floor well and lay down a heavy coat. It should work.
Jack

Thanks Jack E! I think you are right! I never thought of basement waterproofer, makes sense! The floor was completely dry until it got warm outside. My farmer friends say this is normal and to be expected every year. This whole chicken thing is not only FUN but educational too!

I don't know that it is wicking all that moisture from underneath, if it is getting wet in warm weather it may be sweating just like a cold water pipe in the basement does, the warm humid air mixing with the cool of the slab would cause that.

I think we came up with a solution to the concrete moisture. We are installing a raised floor using wood that came with the farm. That way there will be ventilation between the concrete and the chicken bedding. We are using 2x4's on end with plywood overtop then a sheet of laminate. All supplies are stuff we had laying around from previous owners. FREE. The barn is 100 years old and looks nice (retinned in 2009) most solutions were quite expense and involved trenching, drain fields, epoxy, polymers or continuous wet messy bedding. Now that we just got ice and snow again the floor is damp, it had been drying out. I know this isn't a permanent solution but FREE I like! Any words of wisdom on wether you think this will keep the bedding from turning into a soggy mess without growing mold on the concrete?

Back
Top Bottom