Raccoon killed my chickens!

Lisa Walker

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
There has been a raccoon roaming around my home for the past few weeks, eating our outdoor cat's food, getting into the chicken feed, etc. Last night, it climbed over the chicken pen, under the nailed down tarp that covered the top of the pen, and killed 6 of our 8 juvenile chickens in there, include my little bantam, Chickpea, who was my favorite. We are just heartbroken. The stupid coon didn't even eat them, just killed them. One is barely alive, but I don't think it's going to make it, though my daughter is hoping it will. The juvenile rooster is the only one who survived unscathed. Our three silkies were in a cage on our porch, so they were safe, thank goodness.

I wish I had a gun. I'd go coon hunting! In the future, we are going to put wire over the top and across the floor of the pen. And the next batch of chickens we get, we aren't naming them, so we don't get attached to them so much. (These would run to the door and let you pet them. I've cried all day - over chickens!)

Rest in peace, Chickpea, Cooper, Copper, Phoenix, Ladyhawke, Foghorn, and Raven. You were sweet little chickens.

aww poor thing. Ya I don't name them either. We had a cat kill 7 quail, that were in a wired enclosure, top bottom and sides, but just pulled them through the wire which is what a coon will do, then the cat ate 2 chickens and then one of my Hens stomped to death two of my favorite bantams. I am so sorry for your loss. Good luck with the next batch.

My three Rhode Island Red hens were just preyed upon..I feel ya

Yeah they had names too Fring, Frans, Freiden...I would explain the names but it is a long story.. chicken wing related though.. lol

Well, last night that raccoon came up on our porch and got our rooster, Mr. T, who is the last of our regular chickens. It was in a cage covered in chicken wire sitting right next to my daughter's bedroom window. We thought he would be safe. My daughter is upset because that was her pet. He would follow her around, and yesterday she was holding him while she rocked on the porch and he went to sleep in her arms. I hate that raccoon!!! (All we have are the three silkies left. They're staying in the house.)

We're getting a raccoon trap this afternoon. I hope we catch the stupid thing!

My daughter and Mr. T.

We borrowed a couple of humane traps from a friend of mine and set them last night. And we caught the chicken-murdering thief! Though it's kind of like locking the barn door after the horse gets out. The damage is done. All 8 of our chickens are dead. (Stupid thing only even ate one of them. Just killed the rest of them for no good reason.)

I am soooo sorry for your losses. I lost 4 chickens in the last 30 days due to Rocky the raccoon. I bought a raccoon trap made by Havahart, researches the Internet and YouTube about catching a raccoon. I tried sardines, marshmallows, and warm, soft marshmallows. I disguise the trap and ensure the flaps release with the slightest touch on the metal platform where the bait was placed. The sardines are always gone. The marshmallows only attract ants. I have caught a possum and have seen Peppey le Peu, but no raccoon. Rocky is fat and not afraid of humans. The first chicken he got was my favorite, a black silkie, named Coco, after Coco Chanel's "Little Black Dress." I have had seen him 3 times but have not seen him in a month. He must have a big territory. What bait did you use? I really want to catch Rocky! Thanks.

First and foremost, don't relocate. Bird killers are conditioned and have a penchant for chickens now. Unless you manage to take it to a place where no one else has chickens, you'd only be giving it a free ride to kill elsewhere.

I'd recommend a 220 conibear bucket trap. You can YouTube it. It will kill the critter instantly. My second choice is a dog-proof can trap. Both can be baited with PBJ. Make sure to set traps in areas which cannot be frequented by your pets or young children.

Back
Top Bottom