Hello from Red Oak Texas

mmccoy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Red Oak Texas
Just wanted to give a shout out. I've been learning lots and look forward to our chicken adventure this year. Building the coop has been a huge learning experience on its own. We are building a 8 x 12 shed to house our 10 girls. (at least we are hoping they are all girls) I will be posting lots of pictures of our adventure and to try to find out what breed 4 of our girls are. I had a plan but I guess we all know what happens with plans right?! I wanted 4 girls (chicken math), 2 buffs and 2 Ameraucanas. I went to Tractor Supply to check out prices of feeders and once my 5 year old saw the babies he just had to have them. We ended up with 6 because of there limit and the others were not coming in for another 2 weeks and my little one could not wait that long. Once we had the 6 we were happy but I knew I still really wanted buffs and Ameraucanas. Once I saw the buffs I knew we did not have any in our original 6 so we ended up with 10. We have 2 leghorns, 2 buffs, 2 Ameraucanas and 2 possible red stars, and 2 possible New Hampshire's. I will be posting pics of the last 4 to find out what everyone else thinks they are as Tractor Supply could not tell us.

images

Yes, chicken math tends to strike, especially at all TSC during chick days!!!

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Yes, chicken math strikes again! That will be a very colorful flock and egg basket! And good luck with the new chicks when they come. In case you haven't seen it, you might like to check out the Texas state thread for neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures,and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! Glad to have you here!

Wow, glad I found this site. We are moving to red oak, texas in about a month. We have wanted to raise some chickens in MN, but the city won't allow them. Looks like you can have them in red oak,tx is that correct? How is it going so far?

Welcome to BYC! Few BYC members are immune to chicken math. Looking forward to the posting of your pics. Good luck in getting your entire flock.

Our chicken adventure has turned out great!!! We are loving having chickens, so much fun! Two of our girls started laying last week. The first egg we go was from one of our Golden Comets named Hope. Was not sure she would ever lay again as she laid the egg on the 4th of July and got quite the surprise afterwards. They just turned 18 weeks. The other one that is laying right now is our Red Star Faith. They are such gorgeous birds. We did end up with our two Ameraucanas (or so we thought, they are really Easter Eggers) turning out to be males. That was sort of a bummer and is still a dilemma as we are only allowed 10 fowl. So now do we keep one, or get rid of both or break the law and get more girls? One of the roosters developed much earlier than the other so it has not been a problem yet. It is actually kid of funny how out of each breed we have a dominate one and a week one. It seems the ones with the darker colored eyes are the dominate ones. My husband did an incredible job on our coop and I could not be happier with it. Although I wish the girls would get their act together and start laying in the nesting boxes. Here are some pictures of them.

Back
Top Bottom