Eggs still viable?

mblack

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
We had a chicken go broody a little over two weeks ago. We do not have Roosters so we purchased some fertile eggs from our local poultry supplier. Our Mama Hen had been sitting on the eggs and doing a great job. She sat on them for 2 weeks straight. Then I cleaned out the coop area in preparation for the chicks and cleaned the other nesting box (not the one she was in). Well, our other hens started laying their eggs in the other nesting box. They had been squeezing in next to her to lay them. Then when she realized there were eggs in the other nesting box on day 14 she switched boxes. I was out of town and my husband was gone most of the day. So, we don't know when she left her nest. Now we are worried the fertile eggs are no longer viable/alive. They have dark shells and we have never been successful with the candling so I'm not sure what to do. At these point we were planning to wait another week to see what happens. Anyone ever have an experience like this and have the eggs survive. As I mentioned we have no idea how long she was off the eggs. My husband did move her back and she is on their now (in the hopes that they survive). Thoughts??

yes they may still hatch so put them under the broody hen or put them in a incubator if you have one also to prevent this from reoccurring take the extra eggs out of the nesting box so she doesn't get confused again

hope this helps
smile.png

Thank you! That is what we did. I try to take the other eggs out as soon as possible but I was out of town and my husband was gone fishing. Hopefully it wasn't too long. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom