Turkey is lethargic, yellow diarrhea, doing a weird head-turning thing...

RachelleM1986

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 28, 2014
Stagecoach, NV
This is my first time raising turkeys. I have 6 bronze and 3 whites. All are 2-3 months old now.

Just within the last couple of days, I noticed one of my bronze hens isn't walking around with the rest. She just kinda hangs out in the coop (everyone free ranges during the day), and she does a lot of sleeping. This afternoon she started turning her head all funky, like she's trying to look up at the sky, and she twists it all the way around. Right now she's quarantined and has water with Tylan powder. I've had them with my chickens up until yesterday when I noticed the symptoms, and in fear of blackhead, I got them separated and have added cayenne pepper to their food (I read in several other posts on this site that cayenne pepper will kill the parasitic worms).

What I'm wondering though, is if this is just blackhead or if there's something more to it? She's not sneezing, coughing, wheezing, rattling, oozing... Just the lethargy and diarrhea and now the head turning. I have penicillin, should I give her a shot? Will the Tylan help? I also have tetracycline and sulfadimethoxine, should I use one of those instead?

I feel so bad for her, she looks like she's on her way out :( What could this be, and will she survive or should I just put her out of her misery?

Well I have some good news, she's not twisting her head up anymore, just kinda holding it close to her body now. And she's standing up more!! Much more attentive also, and she's getting solid poo's back. For the heck of it, I shot some penicillin down her throat these last couple nights; not sure if it's helping or not, or if it's just because she's separated from the flock now, or if it's because of the cayenne pepper - either way, she's getting a little better :) I've been adding PowerAde to her water for added electrolytes and have been force-watering her 3-4 times a day to keep her hydrated, and have been force-feeding her cooked scrambled eggs with cayenne pepper (about a half teaspoon per cooked egg; she hasn't been able to eat an entire egg yet though) twice a day. It's cute and funny - whenever she sees me bring in the eggs, she starts "licking her lips" in a way :D I'm glad she's responsive enough to get excited to eat and drink!!

As far as vet stuff goes, I live in a SMALL town (about 300 people) in the middle of nowhere... To get to a vet or a university who treats poultry I'd have to travel an hour and a half, and they'll charge a minimum of $200 just to see her. I can't afford that :(

I've been watching the rest of the flock. They're mad at me lol, they used to free-range an entire acre and now they're stuck in a 30x30 pen :) They're doing good though, no yellow diarrhea!

Thank you ivan3 for your reply. Is there any other way to treat blackhead that won't cost an arm and a leg?? I read something about metronidazole to treat, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'll be picking up fenbendazole for worming everyone, I read in a thread on this site that it helps. Ugh so many big words! :/

Metronidazole is Flagyl (branded human med). However, most folks buy Fishzole (metronidazole is widely used by `caged fish' enthusiasts). I think 30 tabs of the 250mg formulation is about $30.00. Shop around as prices vary quite a bit. Don't know if First State Vet Supply or Jeffers has it.

Anyway, good the neck twisting is decreasing. Keep watching food/water intake and the droppings. Could have been something else entirely (something affecting the CNS usually is implicated in the torticollis - sometimes toxins (animal/veg/fungal).

I know this thread is old, but I thought this info might be useful anyway.

Treatment for blackhead is:

• Metronidazole (Fish-Zole) at no less than 30 mg/kg by mouth once a day for five days (13.64 mg per pound), but lately I've been using 50 mg/kg *twice* a day.
  • Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid for goats/cattle or paste for horses at 50mg/kg (0.23 ml per pound) by mouth once and repeat in ten days.

If not caught soon enough, chances are pretty good that the sick bird will also have a bacterial infection like E. coli and that will need to be treated with something like Amoxicillin, Clavamox, Augmentin, Baytril or Cipro. Birds not drinking/eating will need to be tube fed.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Injectable penicillin is one of the few injectable antibiotics that you're not supposed to give orally.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I know this thread is old, but I thought this info might be useful anyway.

Treatment for blackhead is:

• Metronidazole (Fish-Zole) at no less than 30 mg/kg by mouth once a day for five days (13.64 mg per pound), but lately I've been using 50 mg/kg *twice* a day.
  • Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid for goats/cattle or paste for horses at 50mg/kg (0.23 ml per pound) by mouth once and repeat in ten days.

If not caught soon enough, chances are pretty good that the sick bird will also have a bacterial infection like E. coli and that will need to be treated with something like Amoxicillin, Clavamox, Augmentin, Baytril or Cipro. Birds not drinking/eating will need to be tube fed.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Injectable penicillin is one of the few injectable antibiotics that you're not supposed to give orally.
big_smile.png

Hi Kathy, I know this post is really old... I’m having the same problem with my turkey... if your able to reply, I am at a complete loss. This is my first pet turkey. I have a 2 year old Spanish black... since this morning he won’t eat or drink... he has yellow diarrhea... no neck turning that I’ve noticed...
I don’t know what any of these big words mean! But I can’t afford to have a vet come out or to pay a vet plus he’s a mean turkey to everyone but me..
I am just at a loss and don’t know what to do.

Thanks

Hi Kathy, I know this post is really old... I’m having the same problem with my turkey... if your able to reply, I am at a complete loss. This is my first pet turkey. I have a 2 year old Spanish black... since this morning he won’t eat or drink... he has yellow diarrhea... no neck turning that I’ve noticed...
I don’t know what any of these big words mean! But I can’t afford to have a vet come out or to pay a vet plus he’s a mean turkey to everyone but me..
I am just at a loss and don’t know what to do.

Thanks
Can you get some metronidazole and some Baytril (enrofloxacin) ASAP?

Thank you for your response! I haven’t been back on here in awhile since I wasn’t seeming to get any responses on my original post asking for advice.
My male turkey banjo is back to normal now!! Whatever it was lasted about 10-12 days... I did get an injection of baytril from the vet and we administered that on day 2 or 3.. I believe that must have been what helped him start then healing process!! I did also buy metroplex the fish antibiotic/antiprotozoan but I didn’t use it because of the injection we gave. But I heard on Facebook someone recommended it and so I bought it as well. Interested multiple people seem to think that’s a good one to use on something like this!! It couldn’t have been black head I don’t think. I wonder what it was!!

I've had something with similar symptoms kill my purebred turkeys in the past. The barnyard mixes seem much more resistant to it. I believe it to be something my chickens carry that doesn't affect them, but is much harder on the big birds. I'm sorry, I don't know what it could be though.

So glad he is better, that's great news!
As I understand it, it's not usually the blackhead that kills them, it's the secondary ecoli infection that does, that's what the Baytril is for.

Back
Top Bottom