A tale of the broody Black sex-link hen named Blacky

Blueline

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 8, 2013
The name, yea go figure.

We tried breaking Blacky from going broody to no avail. After two weeks we procured 7 eggs from our niece and set Blacky up with her own maternity ward. Along the way eggs kept disappearing but on Friday we have two new chicks
wee.gif

We don't know what happened to most of the eggs that didn't make it. One we found in her pen 6 days before the hatching, there was a formed chick in a cracked open egg on the ground. The first one a couple days after starting the brood was an empty egg shell in the pen, did she eat it? The other 5 were just gone, no remnant shell in pen, no tracks, no evidence. I don't believe a critter got in the pen; there was no evidence of entry or exit in the dirt. I finally thought snake. A snake could enter and exit without leaving a trail but don't know if it could get an egg from under Blacky. Still don't know for sure. We did move the pen to a different location. Only lost one more.

She did not eat much while brooding, this we know for sure. She wouldn't even eat the 'treat' seed mix except for a few pieces at a time.

She is proving to be an excellent mom, teaching and caring for her little ones. Showing how to do and scratching out bits and pieces for them; boy that cricket sure made a mistake
big_smile.png
. We plan on keeping her with the chicks for 3 to 6 weeks and then giving the chicks to my niece, hoping that will be long enough to keep Blacky satisfied and UNbroody.

Blueline Charlie

Sad ending to a good chick a few months back. The day before we were moving blacky and her two chicks into the flock a neighbors dog came a calling. Hottest day of spring/summer so far. I drive truck so am not home for daily chores. My wife had a day she couldn't be home at noon for lunch and chick checks. The dog didn't "get" the birds but did pull the shade off of the small pen the girls were living in, living in until tomorrow
barnie.gif
. The heat of the day and no water [knocked over] and the chasing around was to much stress for the birds. They died inside the pen [three feet by four feet] before 4:10 pm when my wife came home from work. She called me early that day very distressed. Again, sad end.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom