How much weight should my chicks be gaining?

6of6chicks

Songster
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
Does anyone know if there is some sort of growth chart for chicks? Something that shows the average weight at each week so you can make sure your chicks are on track? I know each breed is different, and it would be awesome to find one specifically for orpingtons, but any info would be helpful.

After nursing a sick chick I weighed her because she felt like skin and bones. Then I weighed the rest of the flock for comparison. The sick chick has always been smaller, but it wasn't until AFTER she got sick that I read I was supposed to be weighing them all along. Turns out my sickly chick weighs 1/3 less than all the others - a red flag for coccidiosis. I knew she was smaller, but I had no idea she was THAT much smaller. She was so active and seemed healthy. That is, until she started pooping blood. I'm kicking myself for having missed such an obvious warning sign that was there all along.
sad.png

My peachicks gain about 7-12% per day. There is a weight chart for egg laying chickens, I'll post it later when I can get on the computer.

-Kathy

@6of6chicks , This chart isn't for orpintons, but it should help:

Source: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps046
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

-Kathy

Last edited:
@casportpony - I weighed all my girls this morning and compared it to the chart. I know you said it's not for orpingtons, but it gave me a ballpark at least.

My girls are 10 1/2 weeks old, so I went with an average of 1.8 lb. from the chart. My four that have never been sick range from 1.76 - 2.0 lb. Maybe a tad underweight (?), but close enough to make me feel better about their health & growth.

Obviously my two sick chicks are underweight (so I expected that)

My first chick that got sick ("Purple") - she's 1.33 lb. However - she has gained 4.5 ounces (0.28 lb.) since I wormed her just last week. That's a pretty big jump, so I'm happy with that!

My chick currently in sick bay ("Teal") - she's 1.27 this morning. Her trend shows a 1/4 ounce increase each day. Miniscule, I know, but at least it's a gain and not a loss. I still worry it's Mareks, but as long as her weight holds steady then at least there's a chance it's not.

Thank you SO much for the chart - it was very helpful!!
Give yourself a pat on the back for weighing them! I have found it to be one of the best diagnostic tools for poultry. They're so cheap and easy to use,,, I don't understand why more people don't use them.

You might want to consider tube feeding. A 7 gram per day gain on a 576 gram bird (Teal) is less than a 2% gain per day. If you can get the right stuff I can teach you how to tube and I'm available by phone to coach you through it. To do it you would need a size 16 or 18 french catheter, 35ml or 60ml catheter tip syringes and Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Food. Most vets will have the tubes and syringes and you should be able to call around and find one that is will to sell them to you. Tractor Supply will also have the syringes. Only two places I have seen Kaytee are Petsmart and Petco.

Keep up the good work!

-Kathy

Have you tried mealworms? You can get a box of 1000 King/Super worms online for about $25. I use them when raising peachicks.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I know this is an old post, but would you consider this chart the average? I have 6 Golden Comets and they all weigh about 3 lbs and haven't begun laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom