Battery Hens.

chickyen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
On BYC...
We all know the story. The hens are stuffed into a cage, 4-5 per prison cell, with the only hope of escaping by slaughter. None can move, stretch, or do necessary things a living thing should do. One look at them and you know they are sickly. Flopped over combs, peach colored instead of the healthy, vibrant red. Bare skin shows all over their bodies. The cages they suffer in are coated with thick layers of manure, and the place is overall, filthy.

Roosters are discarded due to their lack of egg production, but actually, not discarded. They are literally thrown into trash bags, screaming, not knowing what to do, and all of their lives don't matter to the workers. Why would they? They are merely animals. It's not like they can do anything about it. This is the egg business, not a veterinarian's office.

The hens are plucked out of the cages once their egg production stops. Usually a year, a year stuffed in with the other birds. Could you imagine what it would be like if one of the hens was really annoying? Anyway, they get taken out to be slaughtered. Yes, I know you might be thinking, do they use the meat? How can none of us see that the meat in grocery stores is so unhealthy? It belonged to a filthy, disease-filled creature! Yes, they use the meat. But you know what? they use it for soup and school lunches and pretty much everything you can barely see it in. They disguise it. I mean, the chicken slices you actually see in the stores are from 'healthy' chickens... chickens that are only around 8 weeks old, yet are so fat and stuffed with food and hormones, they can't even stand up. But that is a story for another discussion. We all need to help stop battery hens from being used, we need to give the animals a voice.

Yet there are pretty much no laws to stop this abuse.

People like us can do many things. For example, many have taken the time to adopt ex-battery hens, and give them a second chance at life - even though they never had a first chance. Another way to support this is to sign a petition. The petition below is a petition to Mcdonald's, asking them to stop using battery hen eggs. This will make a huge impact on the egg business if it happens, and cruel "farm" workers will have to change their ways - or go out of business. Sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/petitions/mcd...tm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created

Please take part in this petition - it only takes a minute to sign it, and if you can, please tell this to your friends and hopefully they will sign it also. The hens can't speak to us, but we can speak for them.

Still not more horrified of the cruelty battery hens go through? Do some research, learn more, anything. These few paragraphs only scratch the surface.

May I ask where McDonald's will get their eggs from if they stop buying eggs from battery hens?

X2. And McDonald's is only a very small fraction of the consumer base so I'm not sure how helpful it is to target them.

I don't like the way most commercial laying hens are kept either and some states, including CA, are adopting laws to enlarge their space. It isn't much but it's better. But all of that aside, the commercial egg/meat industry exists to fill an enourmous demand and the public wants their eggs and meat at a reasonable price. Since not everyone can or wants to raise their own meat and eggs, until someone comes up with a magic solution to produce all those eggs and all that meat, keep the price down, and at the same time eliminating commercial production as we know it, we are stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

If one wants to try to make a difference it's probably a more effective use of time to lobby for better living conditions and humane treatment on commercial farms then to go after McDonalds for using commercial eggs.

X2. And McDonald's is only a very small fraction of the consumer base so I'm not sure how helpful it is to target them.

I don't like the way most commercial laying hens are kept either and some states, including CA, are adopting laws to enlarge their space. It isn't much but it's better. But all of that aside, the commercial egg/meat industry exists to fill an enourmous demand and the public wants their eggs and meat at a reasonable price. Since not everyone can or wants to raise their own meat and eggs, until someone comes up with a magic solution to produce all those eggs and all that meat, keep the price down, and at the same time eliminating commercial production as we know it, we are stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

If one wants to try to make a difference it's probably a more effective use of time to lobby for better living conditions and humane treatment on commercial farms then to go after McDonalds for using commercial eggs.

There are thousands of McDonald's and they serve millions of people every day - even if you are right, and they are a small fraction of the consumer base, if McDonalds stopped using battery hen eggs, people would know about it. Many consumers would think differently about what they are purchasing "Oh. Even McDonald's, which I know isn't the healthiest place to eat, has stopped using battery hen eggs? Why should I buy them if they are obviously so bad for me?"

I know you don't support battery hens, (and I hope nobody does) and this is just a try to make things right - even if it is small at first.

Mcdonalds is not going to buy eggs from the local 'organic' farmers who charge $5 - $6 per dozen, when they can buy eggs by the case for 40 - 60 cents per dozen.

Which is the very same reason that people who can't afford to buy $5 a dozen 'organic' eggs continue to shop for their eggs at the local grocery chain.

In the perfect world, animals would have a perfect life, but the fact of the matter is, the local 'organic' farmer can not supply enough food to feed the millions of people in our country.

When someone manages to rid the country of the commercial pig farms, the commercial egg farms, the commercial broiler farms, the feed lots for cattle, commercial dairies and commercially grown fish, a LOT of people will starve to death.

You would not want that to happen would you?

Mcdonalds is not going to buy eggs from the local 'organic' farmers who charge $5 - $6 per dozen, when they can buy eggs by the case for 40 - 60 cents per dozen.

Which is the very same reason that people who can't afford to buy $5 a dozen 'organic' eggs continue to shop for their eggs at the local grocery chain.

In the perfect world, animals would have a perfect life, but the fact of the matter is, the local 'organic' farmer can not supply enough food to feed the millions of people in our country.

When someone manages to rid the country of the commercial pig farms, the commercial egg farms, the commercial broiler farms, the feed lots for cattle, commercial dairies and commercially grown fish, a LOT of people will starve to death.

You would not want that to happen would you?

Exactly. There is no simple solution and we've got a whole lot of people to feed in the meantime. It's not always going to be pretty and there are so many places where there needs to be improvement but we have to keep trying to find ways to make food available and affordable to more people, not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom