Keeping drakes with layers

pieperduck

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Hi all,
I am new to backyard chickens as well as a new duck owner! I have 13 ducks total, 4 are swedish ducks and are 90% female, 9 are unsexed Anconas. They are currently about 11-12 weeks old. I am seeing some drakes in my Ancona breeds and I would like to keep some drakes. I read about a ratio of drakes to females, but first I will have to see how many drakes there are.
My big question is how can I keep drakes in with my layers? I am mainly worried about how to feed them for laying and feed the drakes at the same time. I would have free choice oyster shell for the layers and want to know what feed to give them all on top of that. They are free range some of the time. How do I keep my drakes and layers together with their diet needs?

Thanks!
Emily

Drakes can eat the same thing as the layers. It won't hurt them. :) However, you don't want to keep drakes with chickens because they will try to breed with them and the chickens can be hurt.

What do you feed them? The maintenance 12-14% protein feed? I had heard layers need more protein. Would it be harmful if I had a more protein feed for the layers and the drakes ate it too?

Back
Top Bottom