Bug smaller than a grain of sand? leaves behind grey powdwer when smushed

wigglesme

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Northern New Jersey
Hello. I am new to the site (and owning chicks) and would appreciate any advice you have to offer. While out in my yard with my birds I sometimes feel a teeny pinch on my exposed skin. I hardly noticed what was biting me because it is pracitically microscopic but when I rubbed the spot where I felt the pinch I saw a tiny bit of greyish powder, I imagine I squished the bug. I have a plastic coop so naturally I checked the coop thoroughly and do not see any signs of bugs (at least visible to the naked eye) and I checked my birds and I don't see any bugs on them. However if I am bit occasionally I imagine the birds must be as well? I put a decent amount of DE in their nest boxes and a litter pan I let them use for dust bathing but am not sure what else to do to prevent these incredibly small bugs from bothering either me or my chickens. If I'm outside for about 30 minutes walking or sitting in the grass I will get bit at least 3-5 times. I use the word bite liberally because it really is a very small nuisance but if I can feel something that small biting me I imagine it must be a nuisance to the birds. Any advice on what it is and how to stop it from happening? I can't even take a picture because it literally is almost impossible to see. Thanks very much!

Hi, Wiggles- sounds like Northern Fowl Mites. These mites can be introduced by wild birds. I'm a bit rushed right now, if you can't find treatment measures, contact me. Die-No- Mite strips are a good start.

Back
Top Bottom