another questiion

getreal

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2014
Upper Peninsula of MI
we are thinking we will have to reduce our roo population and replace them with females. my questions are, what is the best way to introduce new females? get chicks or get some near the same age? I also have 2 ducks in with my flock. If we get chicks how do go about adding them to the flock? there is soo much to learn...
th.gif

It's best not to mix young and older birds. It's also best to introduce like numbers and like sizes. The issue with mature birds is to quarantine before you introduce. At least 2 weeks and as far as possible from your birds. Work your flock first and then the new birds so as not to bring disease to your birds.

You can do it both ways. If you get chicks you'll have to raise them up separate in a brooder and slowly introduce them when they are big enough. I kept mine in a small coop near my main coop until they were 12 weeks and then at night I slipped them into the main coop. They've adjusted quite well.

I've also introduced new hens. You'll want to quarantine new birds for a few weeks just to make sure theres no illnesses. Then house them so they can see the rest of the flock for a while. When you're ready slip them in at night. (usually they wake up and realize "oh you were always here")

Keep in mind it will take some time to get a pecking order established. I hope others have some other ideas for you too. Good luck with everything :)

Back
Top Bottom