brinsea ecoglow

Kathyb2

Songster
12 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Hi,

This is my first time using the brinsea ecoglow in the brooder. I can't say enough good about it. The red lights always made me feel like i was baking my chicks. I use to obsess over the temp in the brooder. It really is an eye opener for exactly how over heated we keep them. My chicks are only 2 days old. I am wondering when others move ecoglow up another notch. Mine are currently sleeping half in, half out. They are standard chickens (Ameraucana and Maran).

Thanks

Just base it on their height. They should be able to stand up and have their backs pressed against it. If it's too short, they'll have a harder time going under it. If it's too tall, they won't get enough heat. It's usually about time for me to move it up after about 1-2 weeks. The ecoglows are tricky to adjust, so sometimes I like to just put blocks under mine to raise it higher. My only other suggestion is to go buy some glad press and seal wrap and put a piece of it on the top. Eventually, your little chicks will start roosting on top of it and that press and seal wrap stuff really makes cleaning up a whole lot easier! Instead of scrubbing poo out of those raised letters, you can just peel it off and put a new piece on it. I love my ecoglow!

I have the larger size ecoglow, the 50 chick brooder. I am able to put 1 side very low, and 1 side higher, so they have a gradient of heat to choose from.

I have a laser pointer thermometer and when I point it at the black underside of the ecoglow, it gets up to 115-120F which is very hot to directly touch a chick. I try to make it almost touch their backs. usually they get warm, and lay down, so remember it i less heat when they're laying down and not standing up against it.

I start it super low day 1-7, probably raising it up around 1 week. I adjust it as they grow, keeping it above back level because that 120F really is hot.

Back
Top Bottom