Help! Nervous Mom needs help

OnTheHill

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Western KY
Good Morning from Western KY!

I've waited so long to join BYC and now the time is here! Tomorrow the husband and I are picking up our coop/run and 4 - 6 month old Leghorns! We are so excited but have soooo many questions
wee.gif
. I would appreciate all advice/information you are willing to share. Going to the farm store this morning to buy supplies.

The current owner has been feeding TSC and says they aren't laying yet. Could it be because of the food not being Layer food? Should I start them on Layer?

I have read many opinions on what to put in the house: pine chips, pine shavings, or Aspen?

Please be patient with us - we may have many questions over the next few months but our only goal is to have Happy, Healthy, Hens, that are Safe. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated.

Greetings from Oregon!
welcome-byc.gif
It is exciting!! If they've been on TSC for now I'd leave them on the same food. Your chickens will be somewhat stressed by the move, new surroundings, etc.. What to use as bedding for the floor of your coop is really a personal preference...mine? I use pine shavings, but I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers to that. Would love to see pics of your setup when you have time. I see you live in Kentucky? Do you have predators out where you live? Do take all that into consideration when building your setup. Wishing you all the very best your new venture will bring you!!

Welcome!!
welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like an exciting day for you!

I'm wondering about the age you posted because 4-6 month old leghorns should most definitely be laying, unless they're all only 4 months old. They usually start laying in the 18-22 weeks range. So, if they are at least 4 months old then I would feed them layer. If they're only 4-6 WEEKS old then just feed them a grower or chick starter.

We use pine shavings in our coop. They're pretty easy to find and cheap.

Enjoy your new chickens and ask as many questions as you need to! BYC is a great place for help and advice!

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes we have taken predators into consideration and will continue to be aware - it's one of my main concerns. Thanks for mentioning it.

Hopefully will post pics tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks for the support

I agree about the age. He is a reputable hatchery owner so that is why I was wondering. The other thought that crossed my mind is maybe having so many hens as he does he is just not aware they are laying? Not sure but can't wait to get them!!

Thanks for all your insights - I will be needing them
smile.png

They are so fun to watch and figure out their individual personalities. They see me and come running. My husband says it's because I have become the "treat lady"! All in all I think everyone has settled into a routine nicely.

Thanks for asking!!

Janet

Back
Top Bottom