Snacks for Chicks

CityGirlFlock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
New Jersey
Hello Flock People!! First time Mother Hen here. My chicks are 5 weeks old. I have only been feeding them organic grower feed and water with ACV. How old do they have to be before I am able to introduce "snacks" i.e. meal worms, veggies, fruits, garlic, etc. Thanks for your input.

Gee, at 5 weeks you can give them treats...try some mealworms first would be my suggestion. If you want your girls to be friendly there's nothing better than dried mealworms. Hold them in the palm of your hand and watch them disappear!
wee.gif

Gee, at 5 weeks you can give them treats...try some mealworms first would be my suggestion. If you want your girls to be friendly there's nothing better than dried mealworms. Hold them in the palm of your hand and watch them disappear!
wee.gif

Thank you iwiw60. I'll start with mealworms!! :D

Yes, and when they go for them you can talk to them quietly and sneak in some petting maybe! I'm the type that likes to go easy with the treats at first. You could also hard boil an egg (I don't know how many chicks you have, but my 4 I cooked one) and mash it up really fine and give it to them, but look out! They'll go crazy for it!
wee.gif

Take your extra summer squash cut it into large chunks and let them peck away! They love it! (hopefully you have fresh squash)....

Back
Top Bottom