Squeaking and sneezing hen, please help?

hannahcourtade

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Sacramento, California
Hello, I am new to this site and made this account because I'm worried about my chicken. I have two, and one is a year and a half year old light Brahma named Foghorn.
Yesterday she squeaked/sneezed and shook her head and we thought it was cute and weren't concerned.
This morning, my mother told me that she had been making the same noises all night. It's pretty constant now. She sometimes stretches her neck and rasps, but has no other symptoms. I don't know what to do, any advice would be appreciated.

She sounds like she has a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis (IB,) mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or ILT. Some are viruses and some are bacterial or mycoplasmas. Most of these are infectious, and can make carriers of the flock. Have you added any new chickens recently that could have been carriers? Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injections, Tylan Soluble powder, Oxytetracycline, and Gallimycin are commonly used to treat the symptoms, but with the viruses, they will have to run their course. The antibiotics may help prevent secondary infections. Here is a good list of those diseases with symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Okay. Thank you. I called around but the vets and feed stores are out of antibiotics.. Could she die from this? She doesn't seem to be pooping either, I've had her in the house for two hours. I haven't introduced any new chickens, I just have to two that I've had for a year...

I already buried her, I don't think I'll get her out but that's good to know that UC Davis does that. I had antibiotics shipped to me overnight. Now I'll have some in case the other gets sick. I'll also have to figure out what to do with the last one, she's alone. Anyway, Thanks for all your input.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please look up impacted crop on this site. I am dealing with a squeaking chicken too and will check her in the morning before she has a chance to eat. If her crop is fine I will isolate her from the rest of the flock and go from there. This seems to be a common problem with free range chickens that can eat too much grass and it gets compacted in their crop.

Back
Top Bottom