newbie planning on making a brooder

Epent12

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 3, 2014
jakarta, indonesia
Hi y'all! I'm a long time chicken fan(I almost have my chickens for 4 years) and I breed them, but I never use a brooder before, I wanna try using brooder because chicks that naturally kept by their mothers often die( I don't know why, or maybe I know) that's why I wanna try using brooder.

So.. I'm planning on making a brooder, but... The things I read about them are making me confused. What thing to use, and what to do

Can you guys help me with this? :D

Last edited:
Here's a great link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-brooder-designs-pictures

Best of luck!
big_smile.png

I've read in some website that you need a 250 watt heat lamp, but I think I only need 15 watt, because I live in indonesia (asia, climate - tropic). even tho there's no "summer" here but it's always hot in here, I think If I use 250 watt heat lamp the chicks would turned into fried chicken
lau.gif
Hi,
I agree. I am in western Pennsylvania, USA. I have quit using 250 red blubs.
They make the chicks too hot. I use 60 watt soft white light bulbs. I don't think
you even need that much. Start with the 15 watt. you can always add more
watts if you need them.
Best, Karen

Hi,
 I agree. I am in western Pennsylvania, USA. I have quit using 250 red blubs.
They make the chicks too hot. I use 60 watt soft white light bulbs. I don't think
you even need that much. Start with the 15 watt. you can always add more
watts if you need them.
Best, Karen

I already made one!

It's made of cardboard, and that little gray box was a case of a cheap earphone, I cut a square in the sides so they can peck their food inside of it(maybe until I found a feeder that fits) :D .
My mom offer me to use one of her plastic container/tubs, I think I'll try with my cardboard brooder first :)

-Adrian

Back
Top Bottom