Sleep Habbits

Carpenter Coop

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Las Vegas / Henderson NV
This is how my 6-2 month old pullets sleep .

If they keep sleeping like that, they will get breast blister. I would put them on the roost every night until they learn to use the roost. :)

This is how my 6-2 month old pullets sleep .
I enlarged your picture and my first question is.....WHAT are those black box-like things back there? Are they nesting boxes of some sort? .. Storage containers? The real solution to keeping them off that box is to put a scrap piece of plywood, on a steep angle, over the top of that whole back section. This will prevent them from roosting there at all. Something like this example:

The picture above is to just give you an idea of what I mean about the plywood at an angle. If you need to have access to those boxes, just screw the plywood in with some hinges and then you can lift it up easily.

Irregardless of what those boxes are, you need to put them on their roost until they "get it". I have a suggestion on your roost bar that might be contributing to the problem of them not wanting to be there in the first place. You are using a "dowel-type" rod.....wrong! You need to replace that with a 2 x 4 laying FLAT. Chickens are not parakeets, they don't 'curl' their feet around a roost...they need a flat surface to rest on for a more secure feeling and during winter months they can sit on their feet for more warmth.

I hope this helps you some...wishing you all the very best!

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I had been thinking to add the plank. I will do it today and change the roost too.

Yes the tubs are for nesting , but I'm not sure I like those either.

My main point was to show how they love to sit on top of each other.

One good thing about them on the flat was when they poop they kick it off towards the back and is easy to clean. That's just dumb luck.

Is there anything wrong with them sleeping on the box?

Again thank you very much for your concerns and advice.

FYI
I took out the tubs and built external nests.
Installed two 2x4 roosts
They can't get over the nests

Probably going to add more nests on the front left wall too. More boxes more room
How many chickens do you have? I see three nesting boxes which would be plenty for up to 6-8+ birds.

Back
Top Bottom