prolapsed vent with eggbound

bjf2154

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Found our chick this last Sunday egg bound and prolapsed so we separated her and have been trying to nurse her back she finally laid her egg but she is still prolapsed we have been giving Epsom salt bath everyday and applying vetericyn gel and hemorrhoid gel to her vent daily it has shrunken some but still protruding. Is there anything else we can do and how long will this take to heal?

Welcome to BYC!

I have one that I've been treating for *many* weeks and what has helped the most is keeping her inside in a dimly lit bathroom and on a diet, which seems to have stalled her egg production.

I've had a few others that healed much quicker... Just depends on the severity of the prolapse.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks for info. Today her prolapse has shrunk some but still will not stay in she has a scab on it forsure. Let her in yard for awhile today and when we brought her back in doctor her as we have in past few days her tail is straight down I have never seen her do this, what could that mean? Not sure if she is going to make it she isnt eating hardly anything.

She is eating but very little we are new to raising chickens I feel like I have done all I can do for her we hope to see improvement tomorrow. Thanks for advice.

Back
Top Bottom