Float test didn't work - live chick!

crcgirl93

Chirping
Mar 11, 2014
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and working on a second hatch. I used the float test last time for overdue eggs. It worked (floated and saw a wiggle) and saved an egg that I was about to discard. It turned out to be a healthy chick that hatched the next day.

I tried the float test again because I had a hen lay an egg in the same nest as my broody hen (I know, live and learn - I will make sure to separate next time). I did not know how old or if it was viable. This was a dark shell and could not tell by candeling.

My point: I did the float test and the egg immediately sunk right to the bottom. Did it twice over two days to be sure. Sunk. Went to discard the egg. cracked it open and there was a live chick with a heartbeat! Looked to be at about 15 days. AWFUL!!!!

Needless to say, I won't be doing this again unless it is a certain overdue hatch.

Just curious as to why the egg sunk and of course want to send out a warning to those doing the float test.

Last edited:
I did the float test too and it failed, all of my eggs sunk. But I decided to wait a few more days before discarding and I'm glad I did because everyone is apparently hatching at the moment. I'm so sorry about your chick :/

Back
Top Bottom