Sore foot don't think it's bumblefoot though

sbhkma

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Texas-Just a little bit South of Weird
Sophie has a very sore foot. Her middle toe on her left foot looks very bruised. It looks nothing like the bumblefoot images I've seen and am thinking she may have gotten stepped on by one of our horses. She can move the toe and curl it, so I don't think it's broken, but she doesn't want to put any weight on the foot.I see no blood or open wound. Since it's so hot here and she's not very mobile, I have her in the house in my large dog crate / chicken hospital. I also want to monitor her food and water intake. Should I try to wrap it or leave it? She was laying on the cool rocks by one of our AC drip lines-even laid an egg there. But she's not wanting to move.Any advice?

I'm far from expert, but this is definitely not a bumble foot. Bruises suggest she has either a fracture or a twist injury. Personally, I would just watch, make sure she eats,drinks. Give her a few days to see how she does. Being able to curl it and move it does not rule out a fracture. If it takes more the 3-4 days to walk on it, then likely is a fracture.

Since it is on the end, I probably would not wrap it. The toe looks very purple, and I would watch it to make sure that it doesn't become necrotic or dead on the end. It would be possible if it was crushed. The area between the toes looks like it could be the making of bumblefoot, although it doesn't look swollen--do you see any black dot on the foot pad?

No black dot at all. And this morning she was running and chasing grasshoppers with the rest of the gals. This was very sudden. I really suspect she got stepped on by one of the horses, since they love to hang with them. She's eating grapes tonight and looking pretty sore on it. Should I give her some buffered aspirin or just let her rest and see how it goes? She's such a very sweet girl. She's in the spare bedroom resting and listening to her favorite reggae music. (my Rasta Chicken) Luckily for her, she was sitting right in the cool water this afternoon, so that helped with swelling I'm sure.

She's eating grapes and corn, so at least she's hydrating a bit. She's just so sore on that foot. Hopefully in a couple of days I can turn her out to range with the girls and integrate back. Depends on how easily she gets around. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something for her care and recuperation.

She's in the spare bedroom resting and listening to her favorite reggae music. (my Rasta Chicken)

thumbsup.gif
I am so happy to hear that I'm not the only Crazy Chicken Lover. I know you are taking really exceptional care of her and she knows it. Sounds like she'll be back in action soon with your TLC.

LOL thanks. yeah.. I take my job seriously when it comes to animal care. Sophie loves reggae music, as I discovered when I was helping her through her coyote attack recovery. so I put reggae music on to help her relax. Sucks that this happens just after I've re-integrated my old mare that had a tendon injury back into the herd. .. I swear.... if it's not one thing, it's ten others!

Ok Sophie's bruising is all but gone now, but 2 days after the injury her toe got very swollen and the skin broke open in a couple of places, so I put Vetericyn on it. Swelling is almost gone now. She's still in the spare bedroom and getting around a little better, eating and drinking fine but still spending most of her time laying down. She's laying her eggs every other day, bless her heart. The toe looks slightly infected, so I've started an epsom salt soak 2X a day followed by spraying it with gentian violet (wound kote). Is there anything else I should do? I'm hesitant to wrap it as I don't want to aggravate the injury but if that's what would be best I will certainly do so. I buy vetrap by the case
sickbyc.gif

She's in a 3 x 4 foot kennel and I clean it twice a day. Am I missing anything I could be doing to help her heal? She seems to love her soaking time, as she hangs out on the breakfast bar and gets talked to and she chirps and purrs.

Back
Top Bottom