Chicken leg injury

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
It's left leg is somehow hurt. It can hardly walk and it has problems standing up straight. Any suggestions on how to care for it? I put it away from the rest of the birds. Is there a good way to get it food and water? I've just given it some food on the ground and put water in a small pan. Any suggestions here on how to do it better? It got a Merek's vac, so that should be out of the way. I'm hoping someone here has dealt with this before and have some good ideas.

Are there any signs on injury on the leg? Does it act in pain if you touch it? Its possible that it is sprained or strained. Keep it isolated from the other birds in a well-bedded pen/crate. Provide food and water in easy reach. To tempt it into eating, you can try moistening chicken feed or try giving treats, such as mealworms. If you can, put some electrolytes in the water to help deal with stress.

Check the bottom of the foot for scabs or swellign as well. This could indicate bumblefoot.

Even though the bird has a Marek's vaccine, it is not completely safe from the disease. Vaccinated birds can still get Marek's, just have a lesser chance of getting it. Stress can bring it on. Some birds are naturally resistant to the disease; others will get it no matter what. If you don't see any signs of injury, Marek's could be the problem. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do for a bird with Marek's.

Get some poultry vitamins, or some poly vi sol infant vitamins (without iron) from a supermarket. Vitamins will help with leg injuries and give your bird more energy.

Hope this helps!

Ok, I'm starting to get worried. It tips in either direction if I stand it up straight. And its leg kind of jerks every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom