Help, my duck has a poorly leg

chlozaP

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Wigan
My 8 week old call duck had quite an ordeal over the weekend, she managed to fly out my garden and in to my neighbours garden and she got quit stressed out. I've just been out to see how she is and she's limping quite badly, is there anything I can do or anything I can give her to ease the pain?

My 8 week old call duck had quite an ordeal over the weekend, she managed to fly out my garden and in to my neighbours garden and she got quit stressed out. I've just been out to see how she is and she's limping quite badly, is there anything I can do or anything I can give her to ease the pain?
What does the leg look like is there swelling does it feel hot. an injury that you can see? You can use Epsom salt and warm water soaks but you can't let her drink the water it's also a laxative, or you can use Epsom salt compresses. take about 1'2 cup of ES and place into a quart of warm water, soak a small wash cloth or towel squeeze just till it isn't dripping and wrap the leg keep till it's lost it warmth you can do this as often as you want. The more the better. when putting into for soak I use a small dish pan and place the whole duck into it, I have Muscovy's so they take up the whole pan you can use something smaller so the duck fits and can't drink the water, keep in till water begins to cool. Epsom salt works to heal muscle injuries and also wounds. Keep us updated please.

Last edited:
I've just had a proper look now and it looks like she has ripped out one of her claws and it looks like it has a nasty infection so I'm going to go down to the vets with her just to be sure! Thanks for your help

I've just had a proper look now and it looks like she has ripped out one of her claws and it looks like it has a nasty infection so I'm going to go down to the vets with her just to be sure! Thanks for your help
Let us know how it goes with the vet
fl.gif

Turns out she's damaged her knee, she's on pain killers which are helping a bit but if she hasn't improved by Monday then she needs X-rays! Only problem is, is that the male keeps knocking her over and hurting it even more

Back
Top Bottom