newbie qurstions

vader

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
I just got 4 New chicks
TThe barred Rock is lethargic she won't eat or drink or play with the other chicks what can I do to help her
also what would be a good homemade waterer for the chicks
the other three chicks are doing fine

Welcome aboard and hello from Ohio!
The first thing you should do is re-post this in the sick, injured thread under Forum/Raising Back Yard Chickens/Emergency thread. Hopefully more likely to get replies there.
Go under Advanced Search and type in sick chick... you should be able to find info like AVC in water, or electrolytes in water, assisted feeding, etc.
In the Learning Center under Hatching/Raising chicks you might dig up good info on waters and what kind people think are 'best'.
You came to the right sight for info IMO and hope your chick is soon to bounce back to its old happy, healthy self.

Best wishes,

HugHess

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!
smile.png

X2 on GO BROWNS advice on posting this in the emergencies section of the forum.

Good luck with your chick!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your baby. How old is this baby and did you just receive them today? If so, she is probably dehydrated and her blood sugar is probably off. Put 2 tablespoons of sugar in a one quart waterer and fill with water. Dip her beak in the water a couple times. Keep doing this every 15 mins or so for a couple hours.

If she does start to perk up, chop up some hard boiled eggs, warm them and get her to eat them. These are great energy food to get them jump started after a rough shipping.

While you are doing this, definitely post this in our emergency section for more help. Mountain Peeps has left you with the link.

I hope your baby recovers.
hugs.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the new chick. If you don't have a chick waterer right now, you can use any kind of small shallow bowl / dish, or cut down something like a plastic yogurt cup, just put some marbles etc in them so the water isn't too deep and they don't knock it over.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! You were given some good advice above. Separate the sick chick and start a thread with as much details as possible in the Emergencies/Diseases section. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom