Too early to come off heat?

Achickobsessed

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Hi

I am using a Brinsea Ecoglow and my 4 Orpington chicks who are three weeks old have stopped going under it, they are hanging out in the run which is in our outhouse and never seem to be under the heater, in fact they seem to sleep in a heap in the furthest corner... are they ready to go into their proper outdoor coop? Or is this too early? They are half feathered, half fluff still I would estimate.

Thanks

Hi are you sure they don't just go under it on a night? I have Eco glows too and would keep them with it until they are about 4 weeks. I would put it on the highest setting so they can all fit under. At 4 weeks I still have mine in the garage but start them on lamp just on a night. Then at about 6 weeks they move outside into coop and run. Good luck with your chicks.:frow

Ok thanks that is really helpful. We just put the heater up to it's highest level today so maybe they just couldnt all squeeze under before. I will start introducing them to the great outdoors in a week or so and bring them in overnight back to the lamp. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom