Incubator issues!!

Sara Smith

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 21, 2014
So I've just started out with hatching chicks, I've had my chickens for 6 years and nothing has really went wrong. Until now! I've let my broody hens hatch their chicks, that's went okay. I bought one of the cheap incubators since I don't have $700 to spend on a high tech one, but that has turned out terrible. Here is my problem, I put eggs in to try and hatch and apparently my heat was too high. Not by the temp on any of the thermometers I had inside. My guess is probably because I live on the outskirts of San Diego, it doesn't get under 80 ish on a good day. So I don't have a room or place that is consistently between 65-72 degrees. Is it because it gets so got throughout the day that it would affect the eggs inside. A few eggs hatch much too early and my house smelt like baked death. It was disgusting. I know it was only once and my first time but I really don't want to fail at it again. Am I just not in the right climate for a cheap incubator or what should I do to make it work? I'm sure my inexperience played a role but I checked the temp often and it wasn't ever too high.

IMO you need to get a better thermometer don't rely on the ones that come with incubators and monitor your humidity as well. The more hatches you do the better you'll get.

Do you have any suggestions on which ones to get? I had read this before and bought another one but I assume that it would still probably fall on the cheap side since I only paid $10.

Back
Top Bottom