Coyote or dog?

Sigen

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Yesterday, I found that something had killed 16 of my hens, and 5 are missing altogether. The ones that were killed were for the most part just mauled to death, and not eaten. Several of my remaining 20 chickens (17 hens and 3 roosters) are missing a lot of their feathers, but appear to be uninjured. The attack happened around 2pm on a sunny day. We have 14 acres, with the back part being partially wooded. I have seen coyotes, but nowhere near the front 3 acres where the chickens range during the day. The chicken's area is fenced with 4' no climb wire. The next door neighbor's dog has been in our pasture, but the chickens are fenced off of the pasture, and I've never seen the dog in the "yard".

All they coyotes I have previously had experience with will grab what they can get and leave. I have never had one kill and leave a bunch of prey. I think it was the neighbor's dog, but my husband thinks it could be coyotes. Anyone else ever have coyotes go on a spree?

Yesterday, I found that something had killed 16 of my hens, and 5 are missing altogether. The ones that were killed were for the most part just mauled to death, and not eaten. Several of my remaining 20 chickens (17 hens and 3 roosters) are missing a lot of their feathers, but appear to be uninjured. The attack happened around 2pm on a sunny day. We have 14 acres, with the back part being partially wooded. I have seen coyotes, but nowhere near the front 3 acres where the chickens range during the day. The chicken's area is fenced with 4' no climb wire. The next door neighbor's dog has been in our pasture, but the chickens are fenced off of the pasture, and I've never seen the dog in the "yard".

All they coyotes I have previously had experience with will grab what they can get and leave. I have never had one kill and leave a bunch of prey. I think it was the neighbor's dog, but my husband thinks it could be coyotes. Anyone else ever have coyotes go on a spree?

Definately a dog.... or a whole pack teaching youngsters... But I have had experience loosing chickens from various predators. Dogs are the worst. They hunt for the chase and when they kill its no more fun so they hunt again...

Sorry for your loss. Two ways to remedy... SSS.... Shoot Shovel and Shut up... or set up hotwire that will keep dogs out. Oh and trap and turn them in to the humane society.... The risk there is getting your neighbors upset.

I am one to up the security... Hotwire set low to zap a nose for a memorable experience.... and set high in case they are a jumper. Both cases you teach the predator Fences Bite.

Oh and Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego High desert...

deb

Dog or coyote? Bottom line is that it will return - very likely around the same time as the first attack. Be prepared - as deb suggests SSS. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We are setting up a game camera this weekend. I believe it is the neighbor's dog, but since I don't have proof, I can't do much about it. If I catch it in the act, I will shoot it. As much as it hurts me to have to kill someone's dog, it hurts me more that my sweet hens were mauled to death. I have put 4' no climb wire on the only gate that a dog could possibly get through. I had already thought about running hot tape.

At this point, I am not worried about upsetting the neighbors. They are obviously not worried about upsetting us, or they wouldn't let their dog run loose and kill people's animals. I do feel sorry for the dog - it's only doing what dogs do, and it's sad that it's irresponsible owners have given it a death sentence (if we catch it in the act).

Also, forgot to add that we are not letting the chickens out unless we are there. I have one large and one small coop. We only lost 2 out of the small coop, and they appear to be much less traumatized than those in the large coop. The 13 left in the large coop have refused to come out since the incident, while the 6 from the small coop are happy to get out (and unhappy to be locked up again).

I am going to pick up a solar fence charger this weekend, and string hot tape on top of the fence. I have not had to hot tape around chickens before. Can I put tape close to the ground, or will it hurt the hens?

Thanks again for the responses!

Make no assumptions. Do not even rule out a fox. Perp likely to return at about the same time, especially if fox. I would leave a couples bodies out in location found so you can see who comes to police them up. Very recently a coyote caught a few of my juvenile birds off property and killed all but could get only some away before dogs ran them off. Initially I thought my own dogs had done the deed as they policed up remaining bodies and brought them into yard. I new something different was up shortly therafter when dogs where very concerned about watching area where kills occurred and nearly got the coyote when it came back later for more booty.

You can certainly put electric wire or tape low to the ground. Your chickens may touch it, and they will learn very quickly not to do it again! I use electric net fence with my birds, and when I first put it up, I stayed out with them for 2 hours to make sure no one got hurt. Everyone investigated the fence, and most were shocked. I had one hen that when she got shocked, she panicked and ran into the fence, got shocked, panicked, ran into the fence etc. I had to run around and grab her to keep her out of the fence. But once she calmed down, I never had a problem with her or any of the other chickens or ducks. I used to lose 5-10 birds a summer to predators, but since I got the electric fence two years ago, I have lost only 1 - a rooster who flew over the fence to challenge a predator. Everyone else has been totally protected. It was the best decision I have made in raising chickens.

Thank you! I am going to get a charger and some hot tape this week. Hopefully, the chickens can go back out by the end of the week. Nothing on the game camera yet.

Back
Top Bottom