disappointed in processed weights

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I just processed my 3rd batch of cornish rocks last weekend and have to say I was very disappointed in the weights after processing. I was expecting 4 and a half to 6 pound range but ended up with an average of 3 pounds each at 8 weeks and 3 days.
I kept them of feed 24 hours a day for the first 4 weeks and 12 hours on and 12 hours off for the last 4 weeks and back on full time for the last few days. They were in a 12 foot by 30 foot run and enclosure. I had a total of 47 birds, 20 red rangers and 27 cornish x. I fed them chick starter for the first few weeks and starter grower for the last 5 weeks and fed them and occasional treat like pears, grass clippings, tomatoes and other veggies. I did let them free range during the evenings for about 4 hours a night so they could scratch and find bugs and eat grass.
Do you think I got a bad batch of birds, meaning not real cornish or did I do something wrong?
he.gif
idunno.gif

I just processed my 3rd batch of cornish rocks last weekend and have to say I was very disappointed in the weights after processing. I was expecting 4 and a half to 6 pound range but ended up with an average of 3 pounds each at 8 weeks and 3 days.
I kept them of feed 24 hours a day for the first 4 weeks and 12 hours on and 12 hours off for the last 4 weeks and back on full time for the last few days. They were in a 12 foot by 30 foot run and enclosure. I had a total of 47 birds, 20 red rangers and 27 cornish x. I fed them chick starter for the first few weeks and starter grower for the last 5 weeks and fed them and occasional treat like pears, grass clippings, tomatoes and other veggies. I did let them free range during the evenings for about 4 hours a night so they could scratch and find bugs and eat grass.
Do you think I got a bad batch of birds, meaning not real cornish or did I do something wrong?
he.gif
idunno.gif

I'll bet the got the slow growing broiler. The red rangers are slow growing also. Did they weigh about the same?

The reds were a bit smaller but I had 2 just over 5 pounds, about 8 just over 4 pounds, about 10 in the 3 pound range and 4 in the two pound range. We processed a few about 3 weeks ago that were just over 2 pounds because we wanted to try small birds (cornish hens) and thought for sure we'd have much bigger birds by now...the 24 birds we processed this weekend totaled up to 86 pounds!

Back
Top Bottom