Making Money On meat Birds Question

4roadranch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
Hi everyone, i have always had an idea of raising anywhere from 50 to 100 meat birds and selling them to a guys that buys live birds and he butcher them to sell them. My question is can u really get a profit of them. And if so can u give me a plan to do this please.

Considering ALL of the TRUE overhead costs ( be honest with yourself ... feed costs are not your only outlay of $$$s) of this or any other small operation in this scenario , the short answer ... GOOD LUCK WITH THAT THOUGHT .
D.gif

I'm not sure that this would be the best way to make money since you are doing all the work and he is getting to sell at a premium price for naturally raised chicken.
I raise meat chickens for resale in NJ with a NJ Dept of Agriculture inspection and birds that are processed USDA. I charge $5 per pound in my area and people happy to pay that for birds that were raised in humane conditions. Most of my birds dress out at around 5-6 pounds each (without giblets) so I make a bit of money and have some for ourselves.
If you can have them processed yourself that would be a much better idea, rather than do all the work and spend money to raise them and have someone else be able to reap the benefits.
Of course, you would have to check out the laws regarding home processing in your state or abide by the existing laws for USDA resale requirements.

Back
Top Bottom