Identifying Blue or Lavender Chicks

CliffB

Songster
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Georgia
So i went to a breeders house in search of a Brahma chick but while there i was looking in his assorted bin of birds he had hatched out from random batches of eggs that came from some his stock, some were donated eggs from friends and some he had purchased. There is absolutely no way to trace where this one chick came from. The reason i couldn't resist it was because it is a light yellow chick but the longer you look at it the yellow is clearly carrying a trace of blue/grey. I have been researching trying to figure out what it may grow to look like but i'm not having much luck. Any help?

Maybe White Silkie Bantam?

Or Blue Silkie Bantam? (can be like the first photo below or can be as dark as the last)

(I think it is a White Silkie Bantam but I could be wrong.)

Last edited:
It's head has very faint brown markings and it appears to be a bantam size. Age was guesstimated around 1.5-2 weeks which is the same as my other chicks and it is the same size as my bantam showgirl and much smaller than my other chicks.

So something new just occurred to me...i may not be seeing a blue tint but it may be the fact that it's white feathers on black skin causing the "blue" appearance. I just brought her inside for a photo op. This is approximately 2 weeks old.

Maybe she's a porcelain Silkie? At first she looked a lot like my splash chicks, but they don't get that buffish/brown color. Sometimes darker yellow, but not that dark. When I had porcelains, they looked very similar to your chick.

Last edited:
I don't think a Silkie -- the wings don't look right. Silkie's wings are very short and stubby and not 'normal-looking' feathers. Unless this could be a Silkie Mix. The Black skin and feathered feet are right though.

It's very common for Silkies to have normal, hard feathers. They aren't supposed to have them, but it happens, especially if they came from a hatchery.

It could be anything under the sun or a mixture of anything under the sun. I appreciate the guesses.

I had bantam porcelain belgian bearded d'uccles last March and they started out as lavender fuzz balls.

Back
Top Bottom